Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Tortoises Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Tortoises Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

ILoveRussianTortoise   Reptile freako   Morti Tori   ILoveRussianTortoise   Tonollby   ILoveRussianTortoise  

Member  Message

ILoveRussianTortoise
View Profile

My tortoise won’t eat or drink!!!

I just bought a Russian Tortoise from a pet store two days ago and it is a female. She seems to be very healthy but is lethargic (which I figure is usual) and will not eat or drink. My enclosure is a 50 gallon tank and is extremely appropriate for the species. I figure it may be shock due to a new environment. If you have any ideas or agree with my theory, please comment.

12/31/14  09:32am

Reptile freako
View Profile

Message To: ILoveRussianTortoise   In reference to Message Id: 2311563

I’ve dealt with this in box turtles .its probably shock or its not hungry. Don’t force it to eat it will get hungry enough to eat then it will eat or it doesn’t like being watch when eating.

12/31/14  09:47am

Morti Tori
View Profile

Message To: ILoveRussianTortoise   In reference to Message Id: 2311563

It could be due to shock...Or it could be due to her preparing for hibernation. During this time they will eat or drink very little or refuse to to eat/drink at all. I’ve had mine (male) for 4 years and have observed this pattern. All you can do is offer food and water but there is no way to force feed them. Make sure she has some sort of cave that’s completely enclosed as they like to be completely buried during hibernation. She could also be in a period of aestivation - it is similar to hibernation without the long sleep cycle. Reduced activity, refusal to eat and drink (mine went 2 weeks before taking a tiny sip of water and a nibble of Romaine). He did this before he hibernated for 6 weeks.

After that he awoke and was very active and hungry!!

But no, you can’t force them to eat or drink.

Make sure she has a heat lamp and UVB bulb to bask under when she wants.

All you can do is wait and see...

01/09/15  08:46am

ILoveRussianTortoise
View Profile

Message To: Morti Tori   In reference to Message Id: 2311732

Sorry I delayed my response - the same day I posted this I went to the vet and he gave her some hunger stimulants and she has been fine since. Thanks for all your help!

01/31/15  10:12am

Tonollby
View Profile

Message To: ILoveRussianTortoise   In reference to Message Id: 2312142

Hi, I know this has been over a month, but what were the actual stimulants called?...if you remember!? Also, how is she doing now? I hope very well! It is so scary at first when something happens to these little special creatures! Since we have taken them out of their natural habitat...it is our responsibility to find out as much as we can to keep them happy and thriving in their new habitat with us...thx!!

02/20/15  08:46pm

ILoveRussianTortoise
View Profile

Message To: Tonollby   In reference to Message Id: 2312415

It has been a long time since I’ve been on the forums... I don’t remember exactly what was given to my tortoise but I’m pretty sure they were certain nutrients to help get her hungry. Check to find the nearest reptile vet near you.

07/26/15  10:22am

Back to Tortoises Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area