Tortoises Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Tortoises Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Tempestborn   Morti Tori   Tempestborn   LizardLoverGirls  

Member  Message

Tempestborn
View Profile

I see the tortoise forums need help

i’ll see if i can talk anyone over here.

jesse

04/27/14  10:46am

Morti Tori
View Profile

Message To: Tempestborn   In reference to Message Id: 2304894

My guess is that tortoises/turtles aren’t that popular as pets. Practically everyone I know has the commonplace dog/cat and occasional bird or fish tank. Even the pet stores I have been to have all kinds of reptiles and snakes for sale but not a terrapin in sight. I even went to one of those reptile/amphibian pet expos in hopes of meeting other terrapin owners. They had practically every kind of lizard, snake and frog there with presentations on proper care of these but nothing for tortoises or turtles.

I’ve had my Russian for almost 3 years now. Although he requires special care in my opinion he’s less costly and needs less attention than traditional pets. His food is cheaper, his droppings are much easier to clean and when he hibernates you get a mini vacation from caring for him. I just have to keep a close eye on him when I let him out of his room because he loves to find new places to hide in the house and has a tendency to push and knock things over because he is so strong! Otherwise I am happy with him as part of the family.

Speaking of hibernation I wasn’t sure whether I should try to get him to do it. Basically he told me when he wanted to hibernate. He refused to eat anything, only taking tiny sips of water and all he wanted to do was sleep in his cave. I decided to let nature take its course. He hibernated from end of January till end of April. I would occasionally hear him moving around in his cave during that time and I would briefly tickle his toes just to see if he was still alive about every 10 days but not wanting to disturb his slumber. A few months later he awoke and came out of his cave but was groggy and didn’t seem to recognise me. I took the opportunity to clean his cave of all his droppings. He didn’t want food or water and eventually went back in and slept for a few more days then came out and was back to his rambunctious self with an appetite to match.

Once you get to know their habits and behaviors I find that they’re lower maintenance than furry four leggers. The tradeoff is they’re not as affectionate as dogs or cats.

Here he is enjoying the sun in my backyard.

05/04/14  09:12am

Tempestborn
View Profile

Message To: Morti Tori   In reference to Message Id: 2304996

well, he’s just beautiful, and not a speck of pyramiding. good job. i have my penelope. when i first got her i tried to get people onto this forum and fell flat. but if you want me to, i’ll make sure i check in at least once a week. not that i’m a tortoise encyclopedia, but we could share what we do know.

as for hibernating, you answered your own question. he’ll tell you when it’s time. you’re lucky. sulcatas don’t hibernate.

jesse

05/13/14  07:01am

LizardLoverGirls
View Profile

Message To: Tempestborn   In reference to Message Id: 2305091

Hi

07/03/14  07:06pm

Back to Tortoises Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area