Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Tortoises Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Tortoises Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Wasgeezy   Tempestborn   Tempestborn   Pmullen  

Member  Message

Wasgeezy
View Profile

Can anyone identify my tortiose’s species?

Hi everyone! Thanks in advance for your expertise!!

I live in East Africa and after moving in to my house 3 years ago I discovered a tortoise in my garden. Apparently the previous owner left it here.

I started feeding on a daily basis: cucumber and lettuce. It roams around the garden all day, walking around 200-400m a day and apparently loves the food I provide. It comes by my outside seating area 2-3 times a day in hope of getting food. It has grown a considerable amount in the 3 years I’ve been feeding it and it has become part of the family. His name is Igor and I have positively identified his sex as male ;)

Can you help me identify the species? Where is its natural habitat? Is it a protected species? How big will it grow? How old can it become? Am I providing the right diet?
Igor the tortoise

01/02/14  11:27am

Tempestborn
View Profile

Message To: Wasgeezy   In reference to Message Id: 2302849

i know he’s adorable, but i’m afraid that’s it. it is a breed i’ve seen, but i don’t know what it is called. as to whether you are feeding him right, i’d go by the fact that he’s growing and his shell is not pyramiding. his shell does seem rather tall, but it might be the pics. this forum has been dead for a long time, but i’m going to start coming here with my sulcata, penelope, and i hope to liven it up a bit.

jesse

02/08/14  07:42pm

Tempestborn
View Profile

Message To: Tempestborn   In reference to Message Id: 2303517

the only problem i see with his cucumber/lettuce diet is the fact that neither has even a little nutrition. i assume that means he is grazing as well, since he is growing. you might want to try some turnip greens, dandelion greens and clover. variety is always key.

jesse

02/08/14  07:46pm

Pmullen
View Profile

Message To: Wasgeezy   In reference to Message Id: 2302849

lovely tortoise!
the species is known as ’Leopard Tortoise’ Geochelone pardalis
they are native to eastern and southern africa :)

11/09/14  12:10pm

Back to Tortoises Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area