Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Tortoises Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Tortoises Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Morti Tori   Chameleon_man   Morti Tori   Chameleon_man   Morti Tori   Chameleon_man   Morti Tori   Chameleon_man   SapphireDragon   Skeel  

Member  Message

Morti Tori
View Profile

Greek/Russian Tortoise - How old is he?

I have inherited this funny little fellow from someone over 2 years ago and am trying to figure out his approximate age.

He seems healthy - he’s active and alert most of the time and loves exploring the house and backyard.

He eats daily but my problem is he’s finicky. His previous owner fed him iceberg lettuce exclusively but I at one point had him on a diet of Romaine, Mustard Greens, Collard Greens, clovers and dandelion flowers. I tried Timothy and Alfalfa hay but he wasn’t interested. Now it seems all he likes is Romaine lettuce and Dandelion flowers (he doesn’t like Dandelion leaves either). He does eat daily if I give him these two items but anything else he will just walk up to it, sniff it and walk away. I have given him Apple slices as a treat but only once every two months since I read sweets aren’t that good for him.

What else can I do to get him to eat Timothy hay which I read is vital for his fiber? Oh and approximately how old is he?

05/04/13  01:47pm

Chameleon_man
View Profile

Message To: Morti Tori   In reference to Message Id: 2296815

Look up mazura tortoise food. if you can get him to eat that then that is the best to feed him as a good staple diet. Throw in strawberries, carrots, berries, watermelon, canolope. I would say is a little over 2 years old. I am not really good with russian tortoises but he is an adult (maybe get a little bigger) I would maybe sayyyyyyy 3-5 :-/ but he could be 2 just for some reason grew fast.

05/04/13  09:51pm

Morti Tori
View Profile

Message To: Chameleon_man   In reference to Message Id: 2296830

Thanks chameleon_man. I’ve read on more than one occasion to avoid packaged tortoise pellets and the like and instead feed them Timothy Hay, Red/Romaine lettuce, Aloe Vera and the occasional fruit. I may end up getting it to supplement his existing diet - this is assuming he’ll actually eat it.

Other than that he seems healthy - and strong! He can move things 3 times heavier than himself. I also thought turtles/tortoises were supposed to be sluggish - this guy can run! At least he seem to be getting plenty of energy from his diet.

He desperately needs a girlfriend. Maybe I’ll open up a profile for him on Match.com!

05/06/13  01:41pm

Chameleon_man
View Profile

Message To: Morti Tori   In reference to Message Id: 2296901

lol Mazura tortoise food is great trust me. I will back it 100% Dont use it as the whole diet throw in carrots and everything els but its a good staple diet.

05/06/13  06:39pm

Morti Tori
View Profile

Message To: Chameleon_man   In reference to Message Id: 2296930

I wish I could get him to eat carrots - I tried, he wasn’t interested. Like I said all he’ll eat is Romaine and Dandelion flowers. I may be throwing away my money if I buy the Mazura and he ignores it.

05/07/13  08:33am

Chameleon_man
View Profile

Message To: Morti Tori   In reference to Message Id: 2296977

ow ok. Have you tried strawberries? Try stuff that is colorful to get there attention

05/07/13  12:00pm

Morti Tori
View Profile

Message To: Chameleon_man   In reference to Message Id: 2296985

I have fed him strawberries although not recently and he loved them. The consensus is sweets should be given only as an occasional treat, not a regular part of their diet. I’m also concerned if I offer him fruit now he’ll then refuse to eat anything else. I just want to get him to eat Timothy Hay in addition to the Romaine and Dandelion flowers so he’ll have a balanced diet. I used to vary his food - one day Collard Greens, another day Romaine, another Mustard Greens etc. so he wouldn’t get bored with his food and it was working fine all last year till the winter where he decided all he wanted to eat was Romaine and Dandelion flowers.

The room I keep him in is warm (78º F) with baseboard heating in addition to his heat lamp. It’s also on the sunny side of the house so he gets plenty of sunshine. I gave him his own room because he’s too big for one of those plastic tubs most people use. I take him in the backyard on sunny days and allow him to roam the house on days when he just can’t sit still. I keep my eye on him because this is one curious tortoise who will climb or wedge himself into anything he can.

My neighbors are amazed at how fast he sometimes moves in the backyard. I thought tortoises were supposed to be slow and lethargic! I guess his current diet can’t be all bad since he has plenty of energy and stamina.

How do I get him to stop being so finicky?

05/09/13  10:43am

Chameleon_man
View Profile

Message To: Morti Tori   In reference to Message Id: 2297095

some tortoises are just like that. I had 2 adult yellow footed. each would like something different. But they would sure as hell come running when they would see me with strawberries. Another thing I did to switch them food. Is feed them something they will go crazy for (strawberries) something with a lot of juice. that way when you get a new food like timothy hay take the strawberries and squeeze the juice out onto it then chop the strawberries up really really small. that way he has to eat whatever the strawberries is on.

05/09/13  12:31pm

SapphireDragon
View Profile

Message To: Chameleon_man   In reference to Message Id: 2297097

Try just mixing the hay and lettuce/greens so he has to eat the hay to get the greens. If he doesn’t eat it, he will. Ge won’t starve himself.

05/27/13  11:17am

Skeel
View Profile

Message To: SapphireDragon   In reference to Message Id: 2297760

From my vets opinion, by the time they are full grown they are about 8-10 years old. Most pet stores get them at this time, at least in Ohio where I live, were we have a minimum 4" rule.
I also have not had much luck with Mazura, however after dealing with a sick tortoise and a $200 vet bill, I am trying everything. He recommended squeezing strawberry juice in the mazura and making more flavorful, then eventually they wont need the sweet juice.
I have been a russian owner for 8 years now and a leopard tortoise owner for 5. They are amazing parts of the family.

05/30/13  06:02pm

Back to Tortoises Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area