Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Tortoises Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Tortoises Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Sandboaking   Cphill58   Pmullen   Sandboaking   Pmullen   Sandboaking   Pmullen   Rokdog   Sandboaking  

Member  Message

Sandboaking
View Profile

Trying to pick a species

Hi, I have a lot of experience with reptiles, and I’ve been doing a lot of research about torts. I finally decided to take the plunge. But I’m just not sure what type is best for me. Space isn’t an issue. I have a whole room I can devote in the winter and a whole safe yard for the summer. I’ve heard redfoots and sulcatas can be the most outgoing and curious, but what do you think? What would you recommend?

12/20/12  11:27pm

Cphill58
View Profile

Message To: Sandboaking   In reference to Message Id: 2288038

Trying to pick a species

Come over to the iguana forum and talk / ask there ....jesse / Tempestborn is quite knowledgeable as well as others

12/24/12  04:46pm

Pmullen
View Profile

Message To: Cphill58   In reference to Message Id: 2288223

Trying to pick a species

there are different types of tortoises so its hard to recommend one. some hibernate, others dont. depends on which you prefer. the mediterranean species i suppose are the most obvious choice but it really depends. keep researching specific tortoises needs.

01/04/13  05:00pm

Sandboaking
View Profile

Message To: Pmullen   In reference to Message Id: 2288867

Trying to pick a species

I really don’t want anything that requires a lot of humidity, so I guess none of the tropicals/rainforest. Honestly I’d rather not hibernate unless I had to. I really like pancakes, but they’re sooooo hard to find. I’m trying to avoid russians because of all the negative stuff I’ve heard.

01/07/13  04:51pm

Pmullen
View Profile

Message To: Sandboaking   In reference to Message Id: 2289048

Trying to pick a species

pancakes are on the higher end of the price range. dont know much about them tbh, ive kept
horsfields briefly but they are great little tortoises.. hardy etc. what negative stuff have you heard?
have you much outdoor space? maybe a leopard tortoise? doesnt hibernate, comes from the african Sahara so not much humidity they do grown larger than the mediterranean species but not as big as a sulcata... :)

01/08/13  06:20pm

Sandboaking
View Profile

Message To: Pmullen   In reference to Message Id: 2289143

Trying to pick a species

I’ve heard they can have a lot of health issues. I understand that would be the wild ones, but I don’t have a breeder anywhere near me, so I’m pretty much stuck going that route.

01/11/13  09:04pm

Pmullen
View Profile

Message To: Sandboaking   In reference to Message Id: 2289404

Trying to pick a species

that would be true with any wild caught animal. the amount of stress they go through has a detrimental effect on their health. many die in importation. i really hope you get a captive bred animal, even if not directly from a breeder as im quite disgusted that the US still allows WC importation since it has been banned across the EU since the 70’s.

01/12/13  03:28pm

Rokdog
View Profile

Message To: Pmullen   In reference to Message Id: 2289468

Trying to pick a species

I live in Ohio too & have a 3 year old RedFoot....excellent tortoise though
they need a higher humidity enclosure or at least a good water vesel for soaking purposes.

Yellow Foots are a similar Tortoise too RedFoots though they don’t need as high a humidity %.

Every month there is a reptile show near Cleveland "the All Cleveland Reptile Show" where you can purchase the tortoises you mention
at a very reasonable price here’s a link as to the shows & I also believe this same show is in Columbus monthly also.

if you do a search for the All Cleveland Reptile Show you can get details
as I can not post the link on the forum because "freeweb" web page links are not permitted due to spamming purposes

Columbus Show

01/12/13  04:46pm

Sandboaking
View Profile

Message To: Rokdog   In reference to Message Id: 2289479

Trying to pick a species

I’ll definitely go with a cb tort. I’ve been to the cleveland show, but I just couldn’t decide. This might just take some time.

01/12/13  09:18pm

Back to Tortoises Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area