Tortoises Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Tortoises Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Boxers4life   Rokdog   Boxers4life   Rokdog   Boxers4life  

Member  Message

Boxers4life
View Profile

New rescue

I’m normally in the iguana forum but long story short I now have a sulcata tortoise. He is about 9-10 inches long. They had him since he was three weeks old, he is now almost 9. He has some pyramiding due to poor diet for the first seven years of his life. They put him on a better diet so it’s not as bad as I have seen but still not great.

This is him the first day I got him. As soon as I got him home I put him outside to graze. He roamed around for about an hour.

Closer shot of just him.

10/29/12  10:52am

Rokdog
View Profile

Message To: Boxers4life   In reference to Message Id: 2284103

New rescue

poor fella, should be 3x that size by know...
pyramiding is a indicator of a poor or wrong diet...usually too much protein in the diet
which will also affect a sulcata tortoises kidney & liver functions as they are not able
to process proteins properly like a RedFoot Tortoise can as a Sulcata is a herbivore.

hopefully you haven’t recently fertilized or put pesticides on that nice green lawn your sulcata is grazing on & I would keep your tort away from pool chemicals & pool water as the chemicals/chlorine levels will harm them.

what where they feeding him the 1st seven years?

Carapace Pyramiding

10/29/12  12:24pm

Boxers4life
View Profile

Message To: Rokdog   In reference to Message Id: 2284109

New rescue

They were feeding him lettuce, tortoise chow and anything else he wanted. The pool is actually a pond with rescue koi, goldfish and turtles. The last time the lawn was treated was about six months ago so it’s not harmful anymore. I have him on timothy hay with lots of grass grazing. I have a list of grasses to order next pay check too. During the colder nights he is in my 135 tank with heating lights. He has a pen outside when I am not able to watch him while grazing.

10/29/12  12:49pm

Rokdog
View Profile

Message To: Boxers4life   In reference to Message Id: 2284111

New rescue

cool, idea for a koi pond.....have you ever checked out MonsterFish.com?
lotsa good info as to fish hobbyist’s.
thats a lucky tort that has a 2nd chance at a good life

10/29/12  02:02pm

Boxers4life
View Profile

Message To: Rokdog   In reference to Message Id: 2284121

New rescue

It works, only $200 for the whole thing and it’s 1500 gallons. Never been to that site but ill have to check it out.
He is a great tortoise, loves to dig in his night time tank. I have about a foot of dirt/sand mix for him to burrow in. He bit my youngest boxer yesterday because she got to close to him, don’t worry they are never out together unless I am there. They will all have to get used to each other so I figure the sooner the better. With the size that he may get they will have to be ok when they are outside together. My mom is letting me have our old house that she is renting right now next year and it has a huge shed that will be his home. I can easily run heating lights out there for winter time. I live in South Texas so we don’t have much of a winter here. The summers are nice and hot and humid so it will be perfect for him. The shed is 10ft long and 8ft wide, plenty large enough for an adult sulcata.

10/29/12  11:45pm

Back to Tortoises Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area