Tortoises Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Tortoises Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Tyranitarqueen   Crotus   Crotus   Jrnoodle  

Member  Message

Tyranitarqueen
View Profile

My Greek tortoise wont eat!

Hi! This is my first time posting to the forums. I’m quite new here. Looking to get help also. I just got my Greek tortoise (Moemoe) almost about a week ago from petsmart. He did the greatest the first day we got him. He did a lot of exploring with his set up. He ate the second day we had him. Its been about 5 days without him eating at all. It may be a bit early to worry but I would like to be safe than sorry. So the days he has not been eating, hes been hiding in his log a lot. (will post a pic of his set up and him) We hold him as often as we can to get him to trust us. When we take him out of his set up (enclosure) he gets so active. His basking side is at 90 degrees. his cool is about 75 degrees or a bit lower im not 100% sure about the cool side temp. We feed him a mixture of Dandelion greens, Kale, mixed greens, carrots, flukers tortoise diet and zoo med grassland tortoise food. He doesn’t seem to want to touch his food at all. Iv seen him open his mouth at it but then just give up and walk away from it. I’m not sure how old he is either. He sometimes makes weird squeaking noises. Not sure that helps with anything though! Can someone give me an idea of what i should do? I dont really want to have to get rid of him. Should I take him to the vet? Id like some options before I have to do that. If the pictures came through: 1st picture (him eating food the last day he actually ate something) 2nd picture (him just chilling) 3rd (his set up. Its setup is a kiddie pool. His substrate is a mixture of eco earth and sand. I have tiles for basking side one bulb 75 watt bulb and the other is just a uvb bulb. a log a bridge and his water. The little dish is where his food is kept. I have some cuttle bones for him to gnaw on too.)

07/19/12  11:15pm

Crotus
View Profile

Message To: Tyranitarqueen   In reference to Message Id: 2274007

I think if you are keeping him outdoors in the summer, you really don’t need all the extra heating and lighting -- the sunlight is all that he needs outdoors. Remember, this species is actually found in semi-temperate regions, so I speculate that you may actually be making him uncomfortable by overheating him... Another suggestion is that you occasionally let him soak in a large, shallow water bowl, at which time he may also drink; this may be better than just putting in a small water dish because sometimes they don’t know how to find it when they are thirsty. And a thirsty tortoise wants water more than food... Please try some of my suggestions and let me know if there is any improvement.

07/31/12  04:53pm

Crotus
View Profile

Message To: Crotus   In reference to Message Id: 2275070

I would like to suggest also, that you should have a sizable area within the enclosure where he can get out of the direct sun. If there is a tree nearby, the dappled light under it might be ideal.

08/01/12  06:24pm

Jrnoodle
View Profile

Message To: Tyranitarqueen   In reference to Message Id: 2274007

Did you ever find out what was wrong with your Greek tortoise? I know this was posted a year ago but it would seem I’m in the exact same situation you were. I also got mine at petsmart and the same thing is happening. He stopped eating and I have given him every option as well as started some baby food soaks because the vet will not be back until Monday. Until then I’m worried the little guy wont survive.

09/20/13  03:33pm

Back to Tortoises Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area