Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Tortoises Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Tortoises Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Kimmiehp   Chameleon_man   Kimmiehp   Chameleon_man   Sandboaking   Chameleon_man  

Member  Message

Kimmiehp
View Profile

Thinking on a tortoise any advice?

My husband has always wanted one so I was thinking about getting him one. It wont be anytime soon tho we are selling our house and buying a bigger house. I figured tho for the past 14 yrs he has put up with me and my reptiles he deserved his turn lol. Like i said for 14 yrs now Ive had bearded dragons, water dragons, garter snakes, corn snakes, boas, and geckos, so of course I will be doing my research and everything before I ever decide to buy one. Just looking for some advice and maybe pics and pics of their homes just for ideas and just wanted some expert advice first. I always have depended on reptic zone for advice on the bearded dragon and mainly I’m on the water dragon forum. So ty for any help!

07/11/12  04:16pm

Chameleon_man
View Profile

Message To: Kimmiehp   In reference to Message Id: 2272927

I am a huge tortoise lover, it all really depends on size that you want. some people see the price of an african sulcata there normally 90 bucks but they get 100+ pounds. lol for something that stays smaller maybe a box turtle/russian tortoise. I have a pair of adult of yellow footed torts and i love them to death.

I can’t post pic on here, I think that the photo thing is messed up :-( I live in kansas (U.S) and i keep mine outside in a pin I built.
my biggest yellow is about 15 pounds and she is full grown. she is not that big but you also have to realize winter will come what will i do with it? well i also have an inside pin for them :-)

Is there a certain kind you want?

07/11/12  10:33pm

Kimmiehp
View Profile

Message To: Chameleon_man   In reference to Message Id: 2272980

I sat here tonight and showed diff ones to my husband and he actually said he wants the biggest he could get which we haven’t decided yet need much more time and research. The house we are going to look at tomorrow that I’m hoping we get has a HUGE living room and a sun room I’m thinking of changing into my "animal" room. Also its on 2 acres and it has a bunch of cross ties that I was thinking I could fix him a nice outside home too. I want to have everything made before I get one. So Ive been looking at posts on here and other sites. I live in Alabama so I’m thinking it will be ok outside some too till winter. I actually liked the cherry head red foot. But he liked the sulcata you were talking about hmmm idk were gonna have to talk about it lol I think that sun room tho would be perfect for it just have to get the house tho its going to be a while before he gets one cuz I want to be completely moved in our new house and everything ready for one. Ill go look at the yellow one tho ty and if ur able to post pics later Id love to see even of the pins so I can get some good ideas ty!

07/12/12  08:18pm

Chameleon_man
View Profile

Message To: Kimmiehp   In reference to Message Id: 2273087

well thank you for actually thinking about it instead of just jumping in. I hate it when people do that :-( I also love reds and i am about to get two of them myself. just remember that they will take a while to get that big so you do have some time :-)

07/12/12  09:06pm

Sandboaking
View Profile

Message To: Chameleon_man   In reference to Message Id: 2273096

Hi, if you haven’t decided yet, I’d recommend either a sulcata or leopard. The sulcata is bigger, but the leopard is nicer looking. But, just as a precaution, don’t just put them in a pen outside. Sulcatas are earthmovers, and they can dig really deep holes, so don’t put the pen near your house. But, though I’ve never owned one, I’ve heard a lot of good things about tortoises. Good luck!

07/31/12  10:30pm

Chameleon_man
View Profile

Message To: Sandboaking   In reference to Message Id: 2275114

and i disagree sulfate are not a good first tortoise because of there size. its like saying a reticulated python is a good first snake. even thought its not

08/01/12  08:27am

Back to Tortoises Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area