Tortoises Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Tortoises Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Mich_01   Chameleon_man   Mich_01   Chameleon_man  

Member  Message

Mich_01
View Profile

New Leopard tort - Tiny Titan lol

I picked up my leopard tort yesterday :) It wasn’t quite the one I planned on .. I wanted the 3yr olf female I drive 3 hrs to get but when I had a chance to look at her she had quite a lot of pyramiding .. so I went with a 1.5yr old .. I know pet stores give a lot of misinfo but the person I bought her off of breeds leopards, sulcatas and about a dozen other herps, seemed very knowledgeable (but mostly his expertise is with snakes snakes .. there were quite a few needed improvements I could have easily suggested for his iguanas and bearded dragons!!!).

So not shockingly he gave me a lot of conflicting info compared to the stuff I have read. I really wanted an older one that was more established in the hopes it would be less fragile .. After an hour of debating I chose the 1.5yr old but feel terrible for not taking the other one, soooo wish I could have got both!!! Hope I made the right choice. His/her humidity was very high which makes me nervous for RI’s.

Ignore the substrate in the pics, it has since been swapped out. The guy told me they needed aspen, which shocked me because it didn’t jive with what I read but he had me doubting myself so I used aspen just for last night while I dug up more info and of course today after talking to more experienced people I was right to go with the coco choir/plats sand 50/50 mix *eye roll*

04/22/12  03:06pm

Chameleon_man
View Profile

Message To: Mich_01   In reference to Message Id: 2263776

looks good :-) i just rescued a lepord tortoise and he is by far the worst looking tort you will even see in your life. he has amazingly soft shell and pyramiding like you can’t believe. his shell should be 2 time its size. just please make sure you have a uvb light please. and cypress mulch works great for them to :-)

I will try and get a pic up of this tort.

04/22/12  11:40pm

Mich_01
View Profile

Message To: Chameleon_man   In reference to Message Id: 2263864

Oh the poor thing :( Is his shell all flattened out? Hope some calcium and proper UV harden that up.
Yes I have a 10% UV light, temps are 95 on warm end, 70ish on the cool and 63 at night so she’s all good :) Diet is timothy hay along with greens that are high in calcium and low in protein, a lot of the same stuff I feed my iguana and beardie I can feed to her as well. Always nice when that happens, less waste! Mine has a but of the pyramid thing happening but that should halt now that she has the proper enviornment and diet.

04/23/12  06:51pm

Chameleon_man
View Profile

Message To: Mich_01   In reference to Message Id: 2263949

ya a lot of tort have a little pyramiding going on any way. and his shell is extremely soft and his shell is caved in and not flat whatsoever. I am still trying to get pic up so give me day or two.

04/23/12  10:29pm

Back to Tortoises Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area