Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Tortoises Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Tortoises Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Baja   Chameleon_man   Tempestborn   Chameleon_man   Tempestborn   Baja   Tempestborn   Baja   RepticTay  

Member  Message

Baja
View Profile

What tortoise is best for me

I want a tortoise that doesn’t grow to big and can live in a 4 foot enclosure. Since I live in Colorado my tortoise will be outside from April to October. I was thinking maybe a russian or a greek, but I was also wondering what else would be right for me. One question though. Do they need the fluorescent tubes, mercury vapor bulbs or any kind of lighting? Oh and do they live underground? I was thinking that I could maybe keep one outside for the rest of the year if I made something that would maybe help him hibernate like a little den or something. I think box turtles are native to Colorado so does that mean I can keep him outside year round? I’m just trying to find out what reptile I should get my top three are leopard geckos, crested geckos, and some species of tort.

04/11/12  10:37pm

Chameleon_man
View Profile

Message To: Baja   In reference to Message Id: 2262436

for first time i would go russian or greek. nothing to big. keeping then outside if fine. that is what i do with my 3 torts. but for winter i would bring then in. what size is cage? they DO NEED UVB!!! outside they do not but inside it is a must have :-)

04/12/12  01:34pm

Tempestborn
View Profile

Message To: Chameleon_man   In reference to Message Id: 2262481

i’d do a little research on anything before i made a decision; some hibernate--my sulcata (penelope) doesn’t. same way with burrowing. lifespan is a consideration, too. penelope is going to outlive me by 50 years, so i’m going to have to make sure that she’s provided for in my will, with at least the names of rescues and the fees to get her placed. i kept telling myself not to get one that would live so long (because i’m 50 already), but a sulcata is what i really wanted.

jesse

04/12/12  03:13pm

Chameleon_man
View Profile

Message To: Tempestborn   In reference to Message Id: 2262490

i also love sulfates but i would not recommend for beginners. they do get biiiggggg lol my friend has one that is 85 pounds. I have 2 large yellow foots and baby lepord :-)

04/12/12  03:26pm

Tempestborn
View Profile

Message To: Chameleon_man   In reference to Message Id: 2262491

something else i was thinking about while out gathering dandelion greens for penelope and the lizards: before you go keeping a tortoise outside, you need to be able to identify every plant in your yard, and you need to know which ones are toxic--LOTS of flowers, especially, are very pretty and highly toxic to people and pets alike.

penelope is tiny right now (i’d be surprised if she weighs an ounce--amazing, considering how big she’s going to get), so i just take her out to graze at least once a day. i do it in an empty lot behind my house that never sees chemical treatment or insecticide of any kind. i pick her evening meal so i can bring it inside and add her calcium to it.

i looked up the plants: the grass is safe, and dandelions are actually the best green for the lizards, and darn good for penelope, too. there’s a little weed she loves that i had to look up and ascertained that they were "blue field madder," an annoying weed to humans, apparently delicious to turtles, and harmless. we also have a lot of shamrock around, which i discovered is very high in oxalic acid, which, while it won’t kill her, also isn’t good for her, so i steer her away from them mostly. a couple bites once a week won’t hurt, and she really likes them.

what you have to remember is that tortoises are much like puppies, in that they think the best way to find out if something is edible is to eat it. they don’t have a natural sensor that steers them away from bad plants. that’s your job.

while my baby girl is still tiny, i am going to get some fescue, clover, and timothy seed, and plant it in my yard so that when the time comes for her to be a grazer, the plants in my yard will be the best ones she can eat. timothy is grass hay, as opposed to alfalfa, which is legume hay, and too high in protein.

my friend gave me this site for sulcatas: Link. i would imagine a lot of the info is transferable, and a search for the type of tortoise you finally do choose is bound to turn up some good sites dedicated to the care of that particular breed.

that might be a lot of info; i’m compulsive and curious.

jesse

04/12/12  04:49pm

Baja
View Profile

Message To: Tempestborn   In reference to Message Id: 2262504

The only plants I’ve seen in my yard are dandelions. I’ve heard lots of information on enclosure size some people say a 40 gallon is good for an adult and some say a six foot is minimum for an adult. I’m just kind of confused about this so if you know what enclosure size is the best for a russian tell me. I’m probably going to build it because I heard glass aquariums are bad for torts.

04/12/12  06:18pm

Tempestborn
View Profile

Message To: Baja   In reference to Message Id: 2262527

i really don’t know the proper size. i don’t know how big russians get, though i’m sure if you find a site dedicated to them you’ll get better information. you are right about the glass tank. it stresses a tortoise out to be able to see through the glass but unable to get through it.

jesse

04/12/12  07:33pm

Baja
View Profile

Message To: Tempestborn   In reference to Message Id: 2262545

Well thanks for the help guys I’ll think about getting a tort.

04/15/12  02:50pm

RepticTay
View Profile

Message To: Baja   In reference to Message Id: 2262774

You can keep any species of tortoise or turtle, providing you give the correct or recommended space for each individual and provide adequate care requirements.

Easiest to keep are Horsfield, Hermann, Greek, Ibera, Spur Thigh, Marginated and Pancake. Each get small-ish sizes so males often being 5-7 inches and females being 7-10 inches. Marginated often reach around 8 inches for some males and 12+inches for some females. However these species are easy to care for.

Do research first :)

04/21/12  01:17pm

Back to Tortoises Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area