Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Tortoises Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Tortoises Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Tempestborn   T-pain   Tempestborn   Cphill58   Mich_01   Tempestborn   Cphill58   Tempestborn   Really   Tempestborn   RepticTay   Tempestborn   The Lone Glider   RepticTay   Cphill58  

Member  Message

Tempestborn
View Profile

I wanna talk about substrate

’cause i don’t know anything. does something come recommended?

jesse

04/06/12  03:40pm

T-pain
View Profile

Message To: Tempestborn   In reference to Message Id: 2261727

Depends on pet I no snakes do great in aspen

04/06/12  06:37pm

Tempestborn
View Profile

Message To: T-pain   In reference to Message Id: 2261754

weeellllllll, since we’re in the TORTOISE forum...

jesse

04/06/12  08:25pm

Cphill58
View Profile

Message To: Tempestborn   In reference to Message Id: 2261768

I am listening before I speak ...Mich said it on the other post...others will chime in...also there are some great forums out there, just like Green Iguana Society for iggys...there are tort forums as well.

If I know you you already have the answer

04/06/12  08:47pm

Mich_01
View Profile

Message To: Cphill58   In reference to Message Id: 2261774

You can also mix some play sand with bed-a-beast, works well :) The pet stores here don’t carry the bed-a-beast brand, sometimes I can get it at an expo .. so that’s why I use the coco fiber (I buy the compressed bricks you expand yourself in a bucket of water). I mix with soil to help with humidity. I don’t have a sulcata tho, not sure how much their care/substrate requirements may differ from my little greek :)

04/07/12  04:47pm

Tempestborn
View Profile

Message To: Mich_01   In reference to Message Id: 2261864

i was figuring, play sand would probably be useful while she lives in the house. i know it needs to be damp, and i really don’t like the idea of anything damp in the house in texas. i’m going to have to have excellent airflow to do that. i feel bad for her right now on plain, old plastic.

i am seriously considering letting sini and penelope share a cage. they’re babies. seems like it would work, at least while they’re still close to the same size. has anyone got any experience with that? do tortoises and iguanas get along? and if so, will coconut fiber be an issue for the iguana? i could put a divider down the middle of the cage. it seems silly to rig up extra UVB everywhere, when these guys are tiny, and the cage i’m thinking of letting them share is 4 x 4 x 4--tons of room. they hung out together this morning. my last available MVB went kablooey--i am never buying the 160-watt again; i’ve had two of them get too hot and fry themselves right out of the fixture--and i wanted to get them both out to get some real sun, but i needed to work in the garden, so i multi-tasked:

usually penelope gets to graze at least once a day, but i picked her breakfast this morning.

jesse

04/07/12  05:45pm

Cphill58
View Profile

Message To: Tempestborn   In reference to Message Id: 2261876

Bed a Beast and Eco Earth appear to be the same substrate...the bricks you soak in water and allow to expand.

If Eco Earth gets to dry it will be like saw dust and get into the nostrils and mouth / airways...I am very leary of the product myself....I have seen snakes (very young) succumb to the particles causing death. 2x in the past year folks have called me with the issue. The Ball python and the Burmese python were kept on 100% Eco Earth...no other soil or additives.

Keep it moist if you use it.

04/07/12  07:17pm

Tempestborn
View Profile

Message To: Cphill58   In reference to Message Id: 2261892

yeah, everyone i’ve talked to about the tortoises says the eco-earth holds moisture well and that’s why they’re using it with their turtles. anything even slightly moist in texas molds within moments; that’s why i bathe the lizards instead of spray their cages. no decisions have been made for sure yet.

jesse

04/07/12  08:11pm

Really
View Profile

Message To: Tempestborn   In reference to Message Id: 2261895

Mike said at this age, he recommends just keeping her on hay.

04/08/12  03:31pm

Tempestborn
View Profile

Message To: Really   In reference to Message Id: 2261980

thank you, mike.

jesse

04/08/12  04:32pm

RepticTay
View Profile

Message To: Tempestborn   In reference to Message Id: 2261876

Sulcata species require mixed grass substrate or Top Soil...both of these work fantastic for keeping them damp and moist for Sully species.

:) See links below!

Link

Link

05/15/12  02:54pm

Tempestborn
View Profile

Message To: RepticTay   In reference to Message Id: 2266501

thanks, rt! i know you don’t come by often. i settled on a mixture of bed-a-beast and plain potting soil. i keep half of her cage medium-damp, and keep a light shining toward it (and the air circulation in the room is good--ceiling fan) so it won’t get moldy. so far she’s been living on it for a month or more without ill effect. the other half stays dry so she can choose how much moisture she wants. her pond is in the dry half and i see her go into it at least twice a day. she’s doing ok!

jesse

05/20/12  06:58pm

The Lone Glider
View Profile

Message To: Tempestborn   In reference to Message Id: 2267016

No. They are 2 different species.. Iggys are best on paper towel especially while they are young.. They are very curious and will put the subtrate in their mouth.. They are OK on subtrats when older, but I still advise against it... They can’t digest the subtrate... Not a good idea AT ALL.

09/22/12  03:40pm

RepticTay
View Profile

Message To: Tempestborn   In reference to Message Id: 2267016

Hey Jesse,

I should come round more often! I miss this place!!

Another alternative to keeping sulcatas, stars, leopards and similar species that require levels of humidity is rather than make their whole substrate or half substrate damp and moist....just make a humidity hide (or box) for them to enter and leave as they please. Keep it moist and warm 24/7, works easier for most people :P

10/09/12  09:46am

Cphill58
View Profile

Message To: RepticTay   In reference to Message Id: 2282483

I stumbled on this ....
Tortois and humidity

For those that get "Notifications" you might find it interesting...

11/19/12  12:33am

Back to Tortoises Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area