Tortoises Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Tortoises Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Atlas 2010   Rokdog   Atlas 2010  

Member  Message

Atlas 2010
View Profile

Red Footed Tortoise

Hey there. I’ve been thinking about getting a baby red-footed tortoise, and I was wondering if he can live with my 7 month old baby gulf coast box turtle. I have a 20 gallon tank that has around 2-3 inches of potting soil mixed with sphagnum moss. I have a UVB bulb and a basking bulb to raise temperatures on one side of the cage. I have a shallow water dish, but am prepared to soak the tortoise three times a week or more if necessary. I feed the box turtle a varied diet of protein, vegetable, greens, and fruit, but I can provide a seperate feeding dish for the tortoise. The box turtle is around 1 1/2" long. I also have the room outside to make a pen for the two as adults. Will the red-foot be able to commune with my boxy? Thanks!

01/21/12  11:51am

Rokdog
View Profile

Message To: Atlas 2010   In reference to Message Id: 2252011

Red Footed Tortoise

I have a RedFoot & she started out in a 30 long aquarium and was moved after 6 months to a turtle table as they like to move about and have differing terrain in the enclosure.

She likes to wallow in the muddy area of her enclosure & hunt for worms that I added to the soil.
She shares her enclosure with 3 common toads.

Redfoots like higher humidity(60%)and don’t care for too bright of lighting as they are a forest species & prefer heat via a CHE(ceramic heat emitter) than halogens or MVB’s.

I would think a box turtle in a large enough enclosure would be a suitable buddy for a redfoot
as they share similar diets & habitat

01/21/12  03:01pm

Atlas 2010
View Profile

Message To: Rokdog   In reference to Message Id: 2252031

Red Footed Tortoise

OK, thanks!

01/22/12  06:10pm

Back to Tortoises Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area