Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Tortoises Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Tortoises Forum

Asherlasher12   Crotus   Laitue  
 Member  Message

Asherlasher12
View Profile

My tortoise wont eat can barley open his eyes and drinks a lot of water

So i have two baby leopard tortoises one of them is very healthy she eats all the time and drinks and sleeps well but my other one is constantly sleeping and cant open her eyes unless she soaks her head in water. she drinks a lot but when she gets her eyes to open she wont touch the food and she goes straight to sleep this all started probably 4 days ago. I noticed her shell is starting to get a little sensitive and I’m worried that its her loss in apetite.
Ive called several vets and so far none of them deal with reptiles. i dont know what to do can someone help please and thank you

06/03/11  08:31pm

Crotus
View Profile

Message To: Asherlasher12   In reference to Message Id: 2222500

Sounds like the second tortoise may have become dehydrated. Herps usually will refuse food until this situation is resolved. (If you were very thirsty, wouldn’t you rather have a tall glass of cold water than food?) So please continue to let it soak in some fresh, clean water every day and have as much to drink to as possible. You may even want to do it more than once daily to be totally sure that you are helping it to quench its thirst. When it is no longer dehydrated, hopefully its appetite will return.

I feel fairly confident that this may be the problem, so please give my advice a try; you have nothing to lose and everything to gain!

06/05/11  02:59pm

Laitue
View Profile

Message To: Asherlasher12   In reference to Message Id: 2222500

These sound like symtoms of a respiritory infection, don’t worry, they are curable. I recomend taking it to a vet, just in case because these creatures hide symtoms of illness/ weakness for as long as possible. in the mean while gently soak or spray her eyes with warm water (no soap).try to feed her mashed apples in water. try to feed her reptile calcium powder, which is availble at most pet stores. good luck and I hope she feels better

07/05/11  01:11pm

Back to Tortoises Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area