Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Toads Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Saxon50   Crotus  

Member  Message

Saxon50
View Profile

New member, new toadlets

Hi,

We have two little European toadlets that we’ve had since July.
I’ve been giving them different foods, crickets and mealworms, of appropriate sizes.
I’ve been just putting the whole tub of food in the toadlets tank until they’ve eaten most of them. It takes them a few weeks to eat 90% of the food but I’m not sure if I’m doing the right thing.
I’ve recently bought a wingless fruitfly culture and wondered how to feed them without getting them all over the house? I have friends me mesh over the top of the tank.
Any advice is gratefully received.

10/13/17  05:40am

Crotus
View Profile

Message To: Saxon50   In reference to Message Id: 2321361

New member, new toadlets

I think it would probably be better for you to keep small colonies of the wingless fruitflies, crickets, mealworms, etc in separate containers with food and water for them, and then feed the toads more sparingly every day or two; in this way you can be sure the feeder insects are properly gut loaded when the toads eat them. You can use a small plastic tupperware container for the crickets, with a tight-fitting lid with air holes. Put in some small pieces of egg crate for the crickets to hide in, and a small tray with fish food flakes as food for the crickets and another shallow tray for water to keep the crickets hydrated; this should be filled nearly to the brim with small pebbles to prevent the crickets from drowning. The mealworms can be given bran as bedding and food, and the fruit flies of course just need some bits of fermenting ripened fruit, such as apples , bananas, etc. I don’t think you need to worry too much about the fruit flies escaping, but even if they do, they would not become pests because they need a steady supply of ripened fruit to survive. Please try some of my suggestions and let me know how it goes. :-)

11/08/17  08:09pm

Back to Toads Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area