Toads Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Toads Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Carriej73   Carriej73   Crotus  

Member  Message

Carriej73
View Profile

Newbie- fire belly toad

Hi. I’m Carrie. I’m new to fire belly toads. I’m mostly a mammal person. I had African clawed frogs several years ago and a bearded dragon. I adopted 4 fire belly toads last week. They came with their enclosure and I was only able to find one book to read about their care, so I wanted to turn to the experts, you guys. They are in a 10 gallon tank with a heat pad and light. The bottom is mostly bark and there are 2 large bowls, one has bark and the other has water. There is some moss in the water. The guy I got them from told me distiller water, but the book I read said spring water. He didn’t tell me to dust the crickets, but I bought them flukers food for the crickets and a calcium d3 powder to dust. I do have a 20 gallon tank I can move them to (unfortunately, it’s a 20 gal tall not long). Any other advice for men how many hours a day should I have the light one should I not have the heat on all of the time? I’m not sure how to upload a picture, but I’d love advice on how to make it better for them. He also told me 1-2 small crickets per frog every other day. Does this seem right?

10/12/15  10:26pm

Carriej73
View Profile

Message To: Carriej73   In reference to Message Id: 2315189

Newbie- fire belly toad

[/URL]">

http://i651.photobucket.com/albums/uu231/carriej73/image.jpg1_zpsewpjvge7.jpg

10/12/15  10:45pm

Crotus
View Profile

Message To: Carriej73   In reference to Message Id: 2315189

Newbie- fire belly toad

FBTs really don’t need heating in my opinion because they come from a temperate climate. They do seem to like to bask sometimes when they are in the water, so I recommend setting up a full spectrum fluorescent light, on in the daytime, off at night, set above the tank. The best diet for them is small crickets, gut loaded on something nutritious like flake fish food. In my opinion, gut loading is better than dusting the crickets. I feel that the most esthetically pleasing setup for these toads is an aqua-terrarium with a strip of glass across the middle, sanded smooth at the edges and set in with silicone aquarium sealant, to separate the land and water areas. This setup will give you the best view of their brightly colored bellies when they are in the water. Whatever setup you use, you need to keep in mind that these toads are unbelievable escape artists. I have seen them press their bellies against the corner of a tank and try to scale the glass, and they were working their way out somehow even though they don’t have adhesive toepads like a treefog. So it is absolutely essential that you have a snug fitting screen top on the tank at all times. These are the best tips I can provide based on my experience with them.

10/29/15  02:18am

Back to Toads Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area