Toads Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Toads Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Newt_dewd   Crotus   Crotus   Newt_dewd   Crotus  

Member  Message

Newt_dewd
View Profile

Please, please give me advice on a fbt setup

so I’m getting three fbts really soon and I just wanted to know if anybody had any tips or advice.

06/15/15  09:25pm

Crotus
View Profile

Message To: Newt_dewd   In reference to Message Id: 2313929

FBTs are semiaquatic creatures that like to divide their time between land and water. Based on my experience with them, the best setup is an aqua-terrarium which has a land area and a shallow water area. To make one, start with a 10 or 15 gallon tank (15 gallons is better) . Go to a glass cutting or hardware shop and get a piece of glass the exact width of the tank (the smaller dimension) by 4 or 5" in height, with the edges sanded smooth. Then use clear silicone sealant to glue this snugly across the bottom of the tank at about the middle, at a slight angle to the vertical to make a ramp up to the land area. You may want to smear some sealant over the upper edge of the ramp and pour a little bit of silica sand on this to give it traction, make sure the fit is very snug and let it cure for 24 hours. Test this to make sure it is watertight. Then fill the land area with 1" or do of medium pebbles at the bottom for drainage and top this with eco-Earth or similar substrate, and put in a few small plants and flat rocks or similar objects for the toads to hide under, and fill the water area with water but not all the way so the land area won’t get flooded... You could put a 1" layer of pebbles at the bottom of the water area, and put a few floating plants at the surface. Make sure you get a snug fitting screen top because these toads are expert escape artists. These toads seem to like full spectrum fluorescent lighting during the day but be sure it’s off at night to let them sleep. They have very hearty appetites; feed them small to medium sized crickets but loaded with flake fish food.

06/22/15  12:46am

Crotus
View Profile

Message To: Crotus   In reference to Message Id: 2313999

Some typos there, I meant to say the crickets should be "gut loaded" :-)

06/22/15  12:51am

Newt_dewd
View Profile

Message To: Crotus   In reference to Message Id: 2314000

thanks, Archer ( the toad ) is doing great

06/22/15  08:50pm

Crotus
View Profile

Message To: Newt_dewd   In reference to Message Id: 2314016

Awesome, happy to hear. Just one toad? FBTs like to live in groups so I recommend to get at least one more to keep him company... But don’t overcrowd them, keep 3 at most in a 10 gallon, 4 at most in a 15 gallon. And make sure to always keep the tank covered because they’re such good escape artists, I have even seen them scaling glass, believe it or not.

06/23/15  10:42am

Back to Toads Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area