Toads Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Toads Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Firebellymurphy47   Blue eyed cutie   Crotus   Newt_dewd  

Member  Message

Firebellymurphy47
View Profile

I need some firebelly toad help

hey guys , i bought a firebelly toad for about 3 weeks ago. this is my tank now: ,at the store where i bought it he/she was really nice light green now i’ve been looking everywhere on the internet for info. mainly just so i can create the most perfect natural FBT habitat.

so now i have a really nice looking tank with a fogger, filter, a little waterfall real plants and everything with a lot of spaces to climb for the little guy.

but now i start noticing that he is getting darker and darker into some olive green color. :-(
so i thought he might be lonely, so i put another firebelly friend in the tank.
now the second i put the new one in the other frog instantly starts ’barking’ and like 10 minutes later the started grabbing the other one to start to mate.

so i thought i finally had everything to make him as happy as possible, but now i notice the second one is also getting darker in collor i feed them crickets and they eat well.

what can i do to get them more green again?
i really want them to be as healthy and happy as possible!!

(one stil has 2 little light green dots on his back)

11/06/14  10:27am

Blue eyed cutie
View Profile

Message To: Firebellymurphy47   In reference to Message Id: 2310732

your pictures aren’t showing up and im very sorry you are only getting a reply now.... but, my assumption is that your set up has a lot of dark colors. Firebellied toads like to blend in as much as possible to stay hidden from predators. thus, they naturally turn darker in darker landscapes and brighter in brighter landscapes.
so, what I suggest is changing up the majority of the darker colors and replacing them with lighter décor (plants, rocks, dirt, etc.).

hope that helps.

01/01/15  11:10am

Crotus
View Profile

What kind of lighting do you have? Try to provide some full-spectrum fluorescent lighting during the daytime to simulate the outdoors, in my experience they may benefit from that as they actually sometimes like to do a little basking while in the water.

01/22/15  02:37pm

Newt_dewd
View Profile

if you are feeding em crickets, try giving the crickets carrots to eat.

06/14/15  11:01am

Back to Toads Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area