Toads Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Toads Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Keyloleether   Crotus  

Member  Message

Keyloleether
View Profile

NEED HELP WITH TOAD ASAP

I have an American Toad who has a prolapse which happened 2 days ago. I let him soak in a bowl of water with sugar & kept him on a paper towel, then attempted to use a q-tip to slowly push back in the cloaca. I think it was just too far gone by the time I tried to help him because there was alot to push back in and it just wasn’t working. I didn’t notice right away because its winter time & he stays under the dirt most of the time. I just don’t want him to be in pain anymore so I wanted to know the easiest & most humane way to put him out of his misery. I heard you can leave them in the fridge overnight in a container and then put them in the freezer for a couple days but that just seems cruel so I don’t know what to do, please help !

01/03/14  03:27am

Crotus
View Profile

Message To: Keyloleether   In reference to Message Id: 2302863

NEED HELP WITH TOAD ASAP

Well, amphibians have permeable skins so quite frankly they can be euthanized instantly simply by soaking them in alcohol. However, I honestly believe that the situation may not be as serious as you think; your toad probably suffered an impaction by swallowing a food item that was too large for it to digest and pass. those large crickets with the wings on them can be particularly nasty. So, why not give your toad a chance to recover, I would suggest possibly keeping it on a clean substrate such as paper towels until it gets better. Hopefully if it does recover, try to feed it only small, easily digestible food such as small crickets, waxworms, earthworms, etc.

01/12/14  04:00pm

Back to Toads Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area