Toads Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Toads Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Emie6158   Crotus   Emie6158  

Member  Message

Emie6158
View Profile

HELP PLEASE TOADS WON’T EAT!!

Hi. I have 5 american common toads that I caught and have been eating and been fine until recently. 2 of my toads decided to stop eating. Usually I feed them live crickets and then they didn’t eat so I tried changing the diet and that didn’t work either. One of them is big and the other one is medium-sized. The big one flinches everytime anything gets near it. He may have a broken jaw? The other one just looks at the stuff. Does anyone know what I should do? Please get back to me soon.

08/25/13  09:34pm

Crotus
View Profile

Message To: Emie6158   In reference to Message Id: 2300659

it’s possible that they are unhappy with the conditions. What type of substrate, lighting etc do you use? I recommend a barely moist substrate composed of equal parts topsoil or potting soil (pesticide free), peat moss and all purpose silica sand, with coarse pebbles underneath for drainage. Root some hardy houseplants in this (like philodendron, pothos, snake plant, etc) Set up a full spectrum fluorescent lamp over the tank, timed to go on during the day and off at night. Also make sure to provide a shallow bowl of clean water for them to soak in. Please follow these suggestions and let me know if there is any improvement.

08/28/13  01:33pm

Emie6158
View Profile

Message To: Crotus   In reference to Message Id: 2300704

Thankyou, One of my toads has finally started eating but the other one still isn’t. All he does is sleep all day and bury himself. Maybe he is hibernating?

09/12/13  08:38pm

Back to Toads Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area