Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Toads Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Toads Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Skadi   Crotus   Skadi  

Member  Message

Skadi
View Profile

Question about California toad care and housing.

I came across this forum and it looks like a great place to get some knowledge in caring for our two California toads.

As I said, we have two California toads. One, my boyfriend brought home after nearly stepping on it outside his work and my son caught the other one outside our house. Right now, I have them in separate tanks that are set up much like the environment in which we live and caught them in. My son really wants to put them together, but I’ve read elsewhere that toads are territorial and should be housed separately. I’ve seen on here, however, people keeping California toads together without problems (seemingly). I’m just a little wary putting them together for a couple reasons. The first is that the toad my son caught is much larger than the one my boyfriend caught. The other is that the one my boyfriend caught seems to have an eye problem - specifically, the pupil of the left eye sorta looks like it exploded. It’s not like it’s injured or anything - it’s just that there isn’t any discernible pupil but there’s more black in the rest of the eye than the other eye or in the eyes of the other toad. He seems to have some depth perception problems (he often misses bugs he tries to eat on the first try). Because of that, I worry the larger toad might hog all the food (we’re currently feeding them mealworms).

I’ve done a bit of research online into proper toad care but aside from the question of housing them together, I just want to make sure I do everything I can to make them happy and healthy. I do have small containers of water for each of them and places for them to hide during the day. I have read that toads should be fed every other day and I’ve also read they can be fed every day - which is better for them? Thank you for any advice and/or wisdom you can pass along.

08/18/13  01:57am

Crotus
View Profile

Message To: Skadi   In reference to Message Id: 2300505

Toads are very communal creatures that usually enjoy each other’s company -- few types are territorial. I suggest that you house them together but provide some visual barriers like houseplants, flat rocks, pieces of bark etc so that the each toad can have some privacy while it is eating.

08/18/13  06:41pm

Skadi
View Profile

Message To: Crotus   In reference to Message Id: 2300514

Thank you for the advice. My son has been asking me nearly nonstop if we could put the two toads together. I see a weekend project in our future!

09/19/13  11:01pm

Back to Toads Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area