Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Toads Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Toads Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

SapphireDragon   The Lone Glider   SapphireDragon   The Lone Glider   SapphireDragon   The Lone Glider   SapphireDragon   The Lone Glider   SapphireDragon   The Lone Glider   SapphireDragon   SapphireDragon  

Member  Message

SapphireDragon
View Profile

Help with toad?

I found a wild toad, and she/he is most likely blind. One looks like it has bad cataracts, or something else white, and one is covered in blood. The bloody eye is completely red, and both eyes have a bit of blood underneath. I put it in a bucket with dirt, leaves, and a hiding place, though she won’t go hiding underneath like a normal toad should, so I’m pretty sure she’s blind. She’s been to vet, and they couldn’t do anything for her/him/it. Help?

04/12/13  05:10pm

The Lone Glider
View Profile

Message To: SapphireDragon   In reference to Message Id: 2295530

Help with toad?

you may have to keep it.. Other wise I’m sure he/she will die with that. did you go to a reptile vet? because if not then they wouldn’t be able to do anything with it.. Make sure you have decent size cage for it and put a pool of water in there with her/him and put a heat mat under the water area. lots of dirt. make sure its eating don’t do too many leaves. Posting pictures would help.. put some plants in there too.. like a Pothus.. That would help a lot. keep out of direct lighting and bring the food to her. That may be all you can do for her/him.

04/13/13  07:59pm

SapphireDragon
View Profile

Message To: The Lone Glider   In reference to Message Id: 2295605

Help with toad?

I’m keeping her(I know it’s a female now), but she won’t eat. She’s still fat so I’m not worried, but when she starts getting skinny I need her to already be eating. Is there a certain thing I should give her so she will go after it? I’m also pretty sure her jaw is messed up; it may be broken. It looked pushed in at one place. Because of this, I do not want to force feed her, but what should I feed her? I gave her two worms in the bucket. Will she smell them and try to go after them? I’ll try to post pictures, but can’t now.

04/13/13  09:45pm

The Lone Glider
View Profile

Message To: SapphireDragon   In reference to Message Id: 2295607

Help with toad?

Toads rely on eye sight from what i have seen, so you may have to wiggle it around and open her mouth a little to get her to eat.. Try mealworms,crickets,earthworms,wax worms(not too many only 2-3 a week) try different beetles,they pretty much eat anything that can fit in their mouth. Try flies, moths a lot of things like that. and it is very very important that you give her a very very wide diet. I don’t remember, did you say what kind she is? and try feeding her everyday till she gets the hang of it, and keep her eyes washes out and her mouth. make sure to do the water dish thing and keep it clean because that will help her in cleaning herself.

04/14/13  03:16pm

SapphireDragon
View Profile

Message To: The Lone Glider   In reference to Message Id: 2295630

Help with toad?

She’s a common toad, I think. I dint know types of toads, but I think it’s an American common toad or whatever those are called. And gosh, I looked at her mouth, and it’s horrible. Its defiantly broken. A little more than half her jaw is pushed in towards the inside of her mouth, and the bottom of her jaw is red like a bad bruise. Her eyes is still red, and the other completely white. I will try to post a picture. I don’t think she’ll make it... I can’t force feed her with a mouth like that, right? The only good news is that when I picked her up, she was very lively, not just sitting there in my hand.

04/14/13  04:00pm

The Lone Glider
View Profile

Message To: SapphireDragon   In reference to Message Id: 2295633

Help with toad?

Its possible she could live.. but she may not.. Could go either way right now.. Just keep a close eye on her and keep offering food and no handling till when/if she gets better.

04/14/13  10:08pm

SapphireDragon
View Profile

Message To: The Lone Glider   In reference to Message Id: 2295657

Help with toad?

She’s going to a vet again soon.. Her bloody eye looks like she can see from it now. Will this give her a better chance?

04/15/13  05:57am

The Lone Glider
View Profile

Message To: SapphireDragon   In reference to Message Id: 2295668

Help with toad?

It could.. IF its an experience reptile/amphibian vet... otherwise no.. It is really hard to say with/out seeing her. but there is always a chance she will make it. Just try to be positive and don’t give up on her.

04/15/13  07:23am

SapphireDragon
View Profile

Message To: The Lone Glider   In reference to Message Id: 2295670

Help with toad?

I won’t. We were going to put her down, but I want to give her a chance...

04/15/13  02:50pm

The Lone Glider
View Profile

Message To: SapphireDragon   In reference to Message Id: 2295688

Help with toad?

I think she has a good fighting chance.. Toads are very hardy animals and often over come a lot of things. Let me know how it goes at the vet!!

04/15/13  02:58pm

SapphireDragon
View Profile

Message To: The Lone Glider   In reference to Message Id: 2295689

Help with toad?

I will :) I’m also going to try to upload some pictures.

04/15/13  03:11pm

SapphireDragon
View Profile

Message To: SapphireDragon   In reference to Message Id: 2295690

Help with toad?

Though you probably won’t look here, felt like I should say how shes doing... she was dropped off at a reptile/amphibian vet, where she is still alive and they are testing to see if she can eat once her jaw heals. She is blind in one eye, but still alive so far so I have a good feeling.

04/25/13  08:42pm

Back to Toads Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area