Toads Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Toads Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Tempestborn   Rokdog   Tempestborn  

Member  Message

Tempestborn
View Profile

K, here’s a question

according to what i’ve read, gulf coast tadpoles take about 2 months to transform. that means mine will be becoming toads right around the end of october, very close to it being cold enough to not be able to rely on catching lots of teeny bugs in the grass.

i was thinking about what breeds fast and has tiny babies. i’ve never had a bit of luck with crickets or superworms, but i’ve been very successful with mealworms. would baby mealworms be a good staple to get my toadlets to spring? i’m afraid to let them go so close to winter. they’re so tiny and i don’t know if their instincts would have them bury themselves to survive (probably, huh?). also, if i keep them until spring i can sell them to other organic gardeners. they’d have good homes outside with their freedom and be beneficial as well, though much to my dismay, they apparently don’t eat fire ants (though i read that fire ants will eat toadlets).

jesse

08/27/12  05:48pm

Rokdog
View Profile

Message To: Tempestborn   In reference to Message Id: 2278091

K, here’s a question

new born roaches
or
add a piece of fruit to their enclosure & it will attract fruit flies & gnats they can feed on

08/27/12  06:23pm

Tempestborn
View Profile

Message To: Rokdog   In reference to Message Id: 2278092

K, here’s a question

rok! you’re everywhere! i was figuring the teeny roaches might work, but if all couple hundred of the pre-frogs on my counter transform, they’re going to need dietary supplementation. (i am now able to call my beetles "roaches," and have two baby bins, the colony is going so well.) and i love the fruit idea.

jesse

08/27/12  07:01pm

Back to Toads Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area