Toads Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Toads Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Treek10   Crotus   Beaublo   Tempestborn   Tempestborn   Tempestborn  

Member  Message

Treek10
View Profile

Help with baby toads

I have 8 tadpoles and 3 so far have morphed. They don’t do well in soil. It sticks to them and they almost died. What can I do to get them, in a more natural enclosure that doesn’t kill them ? Also not eating well yet. Bought fruit fly culture but they aren’t not too interested yet.any help would be helpful. Thanks

• 05/15/12  09:25pm

Crotus
    View Profile

Message To: Treek10   In reference to Message Id: 2266545

Help with baby toads

I have heard that baby froglets often don’t eat for a little while right after they metamorphose, because their physiology is still changing... I suggest that you house them in a small container with some moist sphagnum moss or a similar type of material, and drop in a variety of very tiny prey items for them to hunt, such as pinhead crickets, tiny baby earthworms if you can find them, very small pillbugs, etc. as well as fruitflies...
    Just the pinhead crickets alone may suffice if you can buy them in quantity. Good luck, please keep me posted.

05/17/12  02:16pm

Beaublo
    View Profile

Message To: Crotus   In reference to Message Id: 2266693

Help with baby toads

My experience is that they love the tiny fruit flie larva (tiny worms) when they morph out. they cannot catch the flies. I used the tiny hydei larva (Timberline sells them in vials at Petco) for the first month. As Toady grew, he got more interested in the flies....but he was an 1/2 long before he learned how to catch those. I kept both in the container with him as they gave him mental stimulation. You need to place the larva one by one in front of the baby toad. Use a long tweezer to place the wiggling/ moving food near.

As for substrate...never EVER use that coco fiber sold in pet stores as reptile and amphibian substrate! it can kill them. Better off collecting mosses from the woods. Moss is excellent, and you can change it out when it gets dirty.

Its difficult to find live foods for tiny 1/4 inch toads. You might have to order it online. Or spend a lot of time hunting for it in the woods, or back yard. Do not feed ants! Use the space distance between toad eyes to measure the size of food. If that is 3 mm wide...then that is the size bug or larva the toad eats. In other words something too big will not be swallowed.

Hope this helps!

08/31/12  11:10am

Tempestborn
    View Profile

Message To: Beaublo   In reference to Message Id: 2278452

Help with baby toads

actually beaublo, that helped me, too. i didn’t start my quest for fruit flies soon enough--who knew they’d change so FAST? so i have teeny toads all over the place, and i’m worried about feeding them. even the tiniest baby roaches are as big as they are.

i noticed the ones not completely transformed will still eat the boiled dandelion greens i fed the tadpoles (all the sites say boiled lettuce, but there’s no nutrition in lettuce) and they also will eat plain, flake fish food (which i remember feeding them as a child). i’m hoping my toadlets will eat it for a couple more days till the fruit flies get going. next time i’ll start the fruit flies before i even catch the tadpoles.

i know they can catch the flies if you spray them with a little water so their wings are wet (found it on you tube). i appreciate the advice of someone with a little more experience.

jesse

09/03/12  04:18pm

Tempestborn
    View Profile

Message To: Tempestborn   In reference to Message Id: 2278906

Help with baby toads

oh, i meant to mention, when i set up the "big kids" tank, i used a couple of shovelfuls of the mud from the bank of the creek where i caught them. they’re doing great on it.

jesse

09/03/12  04:45pm

Tempestborn
    View Profile

Message To: Tempestborn   In reference to Message Id: 2278908

Help with baby toads

and, i’ve been wondering about ants, so maybe i’m not the only one who needs the info. why do we not feed ants? in texas, we have the evil fire ants, which kill toadlets. but what about other ants? please forgive me if i’m ignorant. i was maybe eight the last time i had a frog; i never had a toad before.

jesse

09/03/12  07:35pm

Back to Toads Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area