Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Toads Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Toads Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Glug33   Crotus   Glug33   Crotus   Jackthetoad   Crotus   Crotus   Crotus   Torance  

Member  Message

Glug33
View Profile

HELP!!! Seriously ill toad!

My 6 year old American Toad King Cortez is in serious condition. It looks as if his insides are protruding from his rectum!?! Is this a result of an obstruction? WHAT CAN I DO??? This is the best toad i’ve ever had and losing him would be heartbreaking!

03/29/11  11:15am

Crotus
View Profile

Message To: Glug33   In reference to Message Id: 2211961

Sounds like a rectal prolapse, which could be caused by an obstruction... can you take him to a vet? Here are a couple of suggestions you may want to try in the meantime:

http://blogs.thatpetplace.com/thatreptileblog/2008/08/14/amphibian-and-reptile-emergencies-%E2%80%93-prolapsed-cloaca/

Generally, however, it should be considered a serious condition so even if these ideas do help, please take him to a vet if you can.

03/29/11  01:25pm

Glug33
View Profile

Message To: Crotus   In reference to Message Id: 2211973

Thanks so much for the help. I’m treating him right now, i just hope I haven’t waited too long. The link said a prolapsed cloaca should be treated immediately and unfortunately its been two days. However it seems to have retracted a bit even before the treatment so I am hopeful. He looks much better so maybe he’ll recover. I can’t afford to take myself to the doc let alone my toad so this is our only hope. Once again, THANK YOU for the info!!!!!

03/30/11  10:15am

Crotus
View Profile

Message To: Glug33   In reference to Message Id: 2212154

Always happy to help... believe me, I have been down that road before a few times and know how difficult it can be to lose a pet that you have cared for a long time, even if it is a common species...
I sincerely hope he makes a complete recovery but afterwards remember, please be sure to evaluate and correct any conditions that may have brought on the problem. For instance, make sure that there are no objects such as small rock that may be swallowed easily, give him soft-bodied prey items (smaller, wingless crickets, not the big nasty winged ones); earthworms, waxworms, etc. are also good...
Make sure your toad always has access to a shallow bowl of clean water to prevent dehydration, hide spots (I use flat slate rocks propped up by smaller stones to make caves) and some full-spectrum fluorescent lighting doesn’t hurt, either. The substrate should be a sandy soil mix that is just barely moist to the touch but not too wet.

Incidentally, many toads are actually social creatures that seem to enjoy living in groups, so adding at least one companion for him may also be a good idea.

Please keep me posted on your toad’s progress.

03/30/11  12:20pm

Jackthetoad
View Profile

Message To: Crotus   In reference to Message Id: 2212182

THANK YOU Crotus!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

To Crotus!! Thank you so much for your postings!! I had a very upset 8 year old we thought we were gonna loose our beloved American Toad! With your advice I put him in Sugar water the next morning his prolapsed cloaca was 100% better(this morning) we are taking your suggestions and holding off feeding him for a week (hope he will be ok). I also want to prevent this from happening again I think it was a large cricket and they will never be in his tank again! Do you have other suggestions and ideal tank setup?? Thank you so much you made my son VERY happy!!!!

05/24/12  10:18am

Crotus
View Profile

Message To: Jackthetoad   In reference to Message Id: 2267479

I’m very happy my advice was helpful; it always makes my day when I help to solve a problem! I’ll get back to you soon for some suggestions about tank setup because I am at work now, and they don’t like it when I fool around too much on the web! ;-)

05/24/12  02:19pm

Crotus
View Profile

Message To: Crotus   In reference to Message Id: 2267500

tank setup for toads is really very simple -- all you need is a couple inches of sandy soil for them to dig in (equal parts fertilizer-free topsoil, peat moss and silica sand), underlain with about an inch of medium pebbles for drainage... keep the soil barely moist but not too wet. Also provide a shallow water bowl for soaking; change the water every other day or so. Provide a few flat rocks, rock caves or clumps of moss for extra hide spots.

05/25/12  02:43pm

Crotus
View Profile

Message To: Crotus   In reference to Message Id: 2267627

I wanted to add that a houseplant plant or two in the tank is also a good idea, both to enhance the natural decor and because plants help to keep the soil clean by using toads’ waste products as fertilizer!
The plants will, however, need some full-spectrum fluorescent lighting (on during the day, off at night) (use a lamp above the tank) to help them grow; the toads themselves like to occasionally bask under this, and it stimulates their activity and improves their mood.

05/26/12  05:20pm

Torance
View Profile

Message To: Crotus   In reference to Message Id: 2211973

HELP!!! Seriously ill toad! (ThankYOU)

I just wanted to write a Thank You note for the amazing advice you posted. I found out yesterday that My toad was having the exact same problem, and when I was alerted to it was about 3 or 4 days after it had begun. It had appeared that a large portion of his organ had come out, and I was afraid of loosing him to a slow painful death. I am a student and simply do not have the money to take a toad to the Vet. So I tried your recommendation. I used the sugar water with A&D ointment at about 2 am this morning, and when i got up about 10 he already looked 90% better. I again put him in some sugar water for about 20 minutes and used some more A&D and now his organ is completely back to where it started. Inside his body. If he survives the next 24 hours, with no infections, I think he will make a full recovery. In less than 24 hours we reversed this critical issue I was sure he was going to suffer. I am completely amazed at how well this actually worked. Again Thank you so much.

11/18/12  10:01pm

Back to Toads Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area