Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Toads Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Toads Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

JessicaRenee   Crotus   Crotus   JessicaRenee   Crotus   JessicaRenee   MarshieMeller  

Member  Message

JessicaRenee
View Profile

Toad advice

One of the toads that lives around our house was injured today while my mom was working on the ground around the porch. His right leg was severed at the body and hanging on by skin and his left leg was severed at the joint below the thigh. I’ve kept tree frogs for several years and know basic frog first aid (Sick tank with moist paper towels and a clean water dish, non-pain killer antibiotic ointment for wounds, and keep him warm and quiet). I washed his wounds and used sterilized scissors to remove the rest of his leg since it was useless and would just get infected. I plan on keeping him if he pulls through since he won’t be able to live in the wild and will need me to feed him. Is there anything else I can do for the little guy?

09/26/10  04:53pm

Crotus
View Profile

Message To: JessicaRenee   In reference to Message Id: 2177595

Toad advice

Wow, that sounds pretty rough, sorry to hear it... I would suggest that you keep him in a special quarantine tank while he recuperates, and either try to feed him some very slow-moving prey or hand-feed him some morsels of food by jiggling the food item (a cricket, worm, etc.) on the tip of a piece of straw. Sprinkle or mist him with some water regularly to keep him hyrated.

I have heard some accounts of amphibians being able to actually regenerate lost limbs but have never actually seen it, so I am uncertain whether there is any truth to it or not, but perhaps there might be a glimmer of hope that your toad might have the ability to do this if you do a good job caring for him... please keep me posted as to how it goes.

09/26/10  05:30pm

Crotus
View Profile

Message To: Crotus   In reference to Message Id: 2177604

Toad advice

Wow, that sounds pretty rough, sorry to hear it... I would suggest that you keep him in a special quarantine tank while he recuperates, and either try to feed him some very slow-moving prey or hand-feed him some morsels of food by jiggling the food item (a cricket, worm, etc.) on the tip of a piece of straw. Sprinkle or mist him with some water regularly to keep him hydrated.

I have heard some accounts of amphibians being able to actually regenerate lost limbs but have never actually seen it, so I am uncertain whether there is any truth to it or not, but perhaps there might be a glimmer of hope that your toad might have the ability to do this if you do a good job caring for him... please keep me posted as to how it goes.

09/26/10  05:31pm

JessicaRenee
View Profile

Message To: Crotus   In reference to Message Id: 2177605

Toad advice

He’s on a moist layer of paper towels with a small water dish and I’m keeping him in a quiet place. He’s moved over to the water dish since putting him in there so he’s able to get around. I have to go buy crickets for my tree frogs tomorrow so I’ll get him some meal worms since they’re pretty slow.

I’ve seen amphibian regeneration but it usually occurs in the aquatic stage, such as young aquatic salamanders. I have a degree in Biology and we had to watch a salamander regenerate a limb in one of our labs (We anesthetized the tiny salamanders and only removed a small piece below the knee/elbow) Joints are harder to regenerate but since one leg was cut was near his foot, that one may come back. I’ll keep you posted.

09/26/10  10:24pm

Crotus
View Profile

Message To: JessicaRenee   In reference to Message Id: 2177668

Toad advice

Sounds better than I thought if he’s able to move around -- maybe he really does have a chance! I recommend, however, that you feed him some other slow moving foods besides mealworms, like cut pieces of earthworms, waxworms, pre-killed crickets that you wiggle in front of him, etc.

09/27/10  01:19pm

JessicaRenee
View Profile

Message To: Crotus   In reference to Message Id: 2177778

Toad advice

Well, he was doing fine yesterday. He’s been staying in the water dish for the most part and he was using his left leg remnant to steer himself. Unfortunately, he’s very weak today and I was unable to get him to eat yesterday. I keep changing his paper towels, water, and reapplying the antibiotic so his wound still looks fairly clean. I’m going to try giving him a pedialyte soak to perk him up since he won’t eat for me yet.

09/28/10  02:40pm

MarshieMeller
View Profile

Message To: JessicaRenee   In reference to Message Id: 2178020

Help with pricing and other stuff?!

Sorry, No Message.

07/01/12  04:29pm

Back to Toads Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area