Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Toads Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Toads Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Squeaky   PrinceSushi   Moxi   MacinMan   MacinMan   Squeaky   Blue eyed cutie   PrinceSushi   Kyoss   Bufo   Chelsp94   Larsonius   Lte3   Lair*of*toad   Hexen  

Member  Message

Squeaky
View Profile

American toads... sex???

hello i own three American toads and they are small medium than large. but i wanted to know what the sex of mine were but i cant tell. here are some pics. they arent the greatest but hopefully good enough. by the way i think the largest one is a female because of the size. feels like a pound to me when i pick it up. here you go..

Largest...

and then all of them together. they are so cute.

Hey whats that? i want to see. me too... me too...

so can anyone help me with the sex? and how could i breed them? it doesnt have to be this year but i just would like to know because i want to breed them. so any help on that would be appreciated too! thanks. and comment on the pics as well.

04/08/08  06:29am

PrinceSushi
View Profile

Message To: Squeaky   In reference to Message Id: 1694227

American toads... sex???

I personally think you have all females but you should wait for some more opinions.

Here is a quote of something I told someone else that asked about breeding.

Quote:

In order to breed you are going to need a rather large setup. Floor area should be around 5x5 feet, if not more. I would suggest a black or some type of solid tub, plastic/rubber/metal/wood will all work.Be sure to drill and set up a drainage system both under the ground and water section.

To sucessfully breed and raise the babies I suggest you have at the very least 2 enclosures. 5 would most likely be ideal(really depends on how much breeding you plan on doing).

Lay down a 1 inch layer of pebbles, then a 1 inch layer of sand, garden net(the kind for weeds) and then 5-10 inches of clean soil or coconut fiber. The more, the better. Be sure to leave room for a tub/pan/pond liner that will hold the water. The water should take up about half the enclosure and be 5-10inches in the deepest area and 1 inch in the shallowest area. You can create your own depths by using rocks/pebbles and sand in the water tub. If you have access to fresh leaf litter you can bake leaves and also put them into the water. It will create mulm over time which will help nourish aquatic plants and feed tadpoles.

Inside the tub you should use two low pressure filters. Try not to create too much rapid movement or water fall effects. You want a slow stream or pond effect. Place them in the corners that are against the tub. It would probably be best if you set up an external filter system so water come out in one corner and gets sucked up the other. To prevent eggs and other stuff from getting sucked up just rubber band a thin cloth over the intake. Once the tadpoles get a bit bigger you can start upping the filtration.

To make the toads feel secure I suggest some branchy driftwood, water lettuce, water hyacinth, , anacharis, and fanwort.

On the land portion of the enclosure you can use real plants if you want but fake will be fine. For real plants you could try babytears, ribbon grass, california/spike rush, mexican feather grass, or cattails. For fake plants, try to get vines or bushy plants. You will also want to include hiding spots. You can build(from wood) your own houses or you can purchase plastic igloos from the rodent sections of a pet store. Try to get 2 or more. Logs and rocks will provide good climbing exercise and areas to burrow under.

The temperature of your water should be be about 65-70 degrees. Once the egg have been laid you can slowly bump the temp up to 75 for faster growth. To increase humidity in the tank a UTH can be used under the dirt side. It doesn’t need to be hot, in fact the lowest temperature should be more than enough. The air temp should be about 75-85 degrees during the day. Try to keep the dirt moist but not wet. Stick your finger down into the dirt as far as you can. If it is moist and spongy then its fine. Its is wet and sloppy stop water for 2 or more days. It is is dry then double your amount of water.

Breeding season for toads happens between March and May. If your toads are not at least 3 years of age and have not gone through hibernation they won’t breed.The water in your pond/pool/tub MUST also cycled(look up the nitrogen cycle.takes about 1 month to complete.) If your toads are old enough and have gone through hibernation correctly I suggest placing one male in the enclosure for a week. Allow him to set up his territory. Once he "owns" the place you can try putting a female or two into the enclosure. You can leave them together until they breed. Once they have bred you should switch them to a different enclosure.

As for th eggs, they should hatch in about 1-2 weeks. Just leave them alone in the water. You can touch them and move them if needed, just be careful. Keep a close eye on your cycle, temp and water flow. If your lucky they should hatch on time.

Before any breeding happens you will need to contact your local Fish and Game office to make sure it is legal. In most cases there is a bag limit which includes the amount of babies your toads may have this can be bypassed with the right permits. Of course, without permits and licenses you will not be aloud to release any of the babies which means you will need to find homes for over a 1000 babies.Most states also make it illegal to sell native animals.Failure to comply to the law can result in high fines and confiscation of your animals.

Unless you have the money, time, knowledge and permits breeding toads and frogs is to much work. Most centers that work on breeding and conservation of toads and other species get state grants to cover the fees.

I had the opportunity to visit C.R.E.S. laboratories. One of their employees came across a once thought to be extinct species of frog right here in my city, mountain yellow legged frog. They contacted the state and got permission to take the thousands of tadpoles they found back to their lab. However, that same year, we had a severe drought so the C.R.E.S. pretty much tore down one of their labs to fit about 25 50 gallons tanks in.They had to keep the frogs a whole extra year. While it was interesting seeing all the young frogs and tadpoles I could clearly see it was a lot of work and money. Up until then the thought of breeding toads and frogs had always sounded interesting and fun but after witnessing the work of C.R.E.S. I knew it would almost have to become my career to handle and devote the time to it. Because of the money and time need, most toads and frogs purchased from stores are actually wild caught.

04/08/08  09:17am

Moxi
View Profile

Message To: PrinceSushi   In reference to Message Id: 1694337

American toads... sex???

oh my god those toads are huge makes me wonder about the age of mine any help?

04/08/08  10:23am

MacinMan
View Profile

Message To: Moxi   In reference to Message Id: 1694391

American toads... sex???

the way to sex an american toad is this: the males will have a darker throat, and be smaller, also, if you handle a male he will vibrate and chirp (warning croak) females do not have a dark throat, produce sound and are larger.

04/08/08  10:27am

MacinMan
View Profile

Message To: MacinMan   In reference to Message Id: 1694396

American toads... sex???

the sexing i described works for american toads, their cousins the southern toad and most other north american toads. this also works for most species of north american frogs too although, warning croaks may vary species to species.

04/08/08  10:31am

Squeaky
View Profile

Message To: MacinMan   In reference to Message Id: 1694401

American toads... sex???

i thought that too once i actually looked and they all look like females but they are not all full grown like my large one which i know for a fact is a female because she is like a pound when i hold her. so i might just wait awhile on this breeding thing as i didnt know it took so much,

04/08/08  11:34am

Blue eyed cutie
View Profile

Message To: Squeaky   In reference to Message Id: 1694445

American toads... sex???

o no breeding americans can be easy! she was talking about fbt’s i am sure! although alot of room is nessasarey. (if you have a window well they work great, thats what i use) were are you keeping your americans? do you have acesses to a window well?

04/08/08  12:51pm

PrinceSushi
View Profile

Message To: Blue eyed cutie   In reference to Message Id: 1694510

American toads... sex???

Nope, not FBT. I personally hate them so I have chosen not to learn all that much about them. From what I’ve heard, FBTs are actually pretty easy to breed.
I was referring to americans and other similar toads such as spadefoots. If you wish to establish a healthy indoor breeding colony, the above information will work perfectly fine. Of course, you should always contact fish and game to check your state laws before attempting breeding.

Now, when you talk about a window well, those are outside. Toads are able to visit freely and the amount of water is most likely rather large. They are exposed to their natural environment. In an enclosure, the only way to breed americans successfully is to recreate their natural environment, which involves a rather large amount of water.

04/09/08  11:44pm

Kyoss
View Profile

Message To: PrinceSushi   In reference to Message Id: 1697015

American toads... sex???

Yeah, PrinceSushi the throats can tell the sex of them. White is Female and Darkish, spotted black/brown is Male, Also Females are the larger ones.

04/10/08  12:01am

Bufo
View Profile

Message To: Moxi   In reference to Message Id: 1694391

American toads... sex???

those are gulf coast toads

07/03/08  11:18am

Chelsp94
View Profile

American toads... sex???

They are all so cute :)

Does anyone have an idea of mine? I think he’s a boy.

07/06/09  03:45pm

Larsonius
View Profile

Message To: PrinceSushi   In reference to Message Id: 1694337

American toads... sex???

I have three toads (two females and a smaller male). My male was on top of my female for around a week and she never laid eggs in the large dish of water in the tank. If they get together again should i move them to an enclosure with a larger water source?

09/29/09  10:45am

Lte3
View Profile

American toads... sex???

it looks like the one in the middle is a female and the other 2 are males cause females are larger

04/07/10  09:15pm

Lair*of*toad
View Profile

Message To: Lte3   In reference to Message Id: 2139140

American toads... sex???

YES FEMALES ARE LARGER AN TEND TO HAVE A SMOOTHER COMPLEXION AN ROUNDER APPEARANCE,ALSO MALES HAVE DARKS THROATS IN MOST SPECIES AND THEY ARE THE VOCAL ONES,AS FAR AS THE PERMIT GOES ITS ONLY $55 DOLLARS,AN IVE NEVER ACTUALLY HEARD OF SUMONE GOING DOWN FOR BEING A TOAD HOBBYIEST,BUT HEY OUR DECISIONS LIE ON US EACH SOLO.I WONDER HOW MUCH IT ACTUALLY MATTERS IF TWO TOADS FROM THE SAME BLOOD LINE REPRODUCED,I HAVE SO MANY QUESTION I NEED ANSWERS BEFORE I EVEN ATTEMP TO BREED,BUT THAT IS MY LONG TERM GOAL,TO GET ’ALBINO BUFO BOREAS’ I WANT MY OWN BLOOD LINE NAMED BY ME,AN IM DETERMINED,SO ANYONE WHO IS SERIOUS ABOUT THIS AS I AM YOU ARE WELCOME TO KEEP IN TOUCH WITH ME THRU THE YEARS AND ILL KEEP YOU UPDATED AND MAYBE WE CAN EXCHANGE INFO,ID LUV TO HERE EVERYONES GOALS AS FAR AS THESE ANIMALS GO,TRUTHFULLY I WANT ALBINOS OR SUM SORT OF COLOR MORPHS THAT NO ONE HAS.

04/09/10  07:29am

Hexen
View Profile

Message To: Lair*of*toad   In reference to Message Id: 2139408

American toads... sex???

so, just curious, hows the albino thing working out for you> i personally think that would be so cool,

05/15/13  02:20pm

Back to Toads Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area