Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Tegus Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Tegus Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Taycantarini   KsTaR   Taycantarini   KsTaR   Taycantarini   Taycantarini   Tempestborn  

Member  Message

Taycantarini
View Profile

Tegu questions

I am considering getting an Argentine tegu. I am not making a decision soon, I just want to learn as much as I can about tegus. I have done a lot of reading about them. My plan is to build an 8x4x4 cage out of plywood and seal it with fiberglass reinforced panels.
1. How long on average do chacoan tegus get.
2. If I got a tegu, I would get it from Tegu Terra, does anyone have experience with them.
3. Besides fruit and ground turkey what are some good foods for them.
4. I know that they hibernate, but what would happen if I kept the heat on and kept the lizard up. Would that cause other problems.
5. The enclosure plan I have includes one foot of cypress mulch. Is that enough to create a nice burrow.
6. I read that they need two hides one for the hot end and one for the cold end. Would it be okay If I put a plastic doghouse on the cold end and then made a raised basking spot, so underneath is a hide.
7. The water dish I am planning on using is a 1 foot wide 1 foot deep and 2 feet long. Is this big enough.
8. Connected to the water dish I will have a pipe and a drain that drains into a bucket
9.since tegus need UVB, should I use powersun mercury vapor bulbs. I read online that the UVB reaches a farther distance.
10. Would it be a good idea to have worms in the cypress mulch. That way the tegu can dig for them and eat them.
I am learning everything I can about tegus, this is my first tegu and I would like to get it right. I will not get a tegu if I can not care for it properly. It will be many years until I get one. Thank you.

03/31/14  09:44pm

KsTaR
View Profile

Message To: Taycantarini   In reference to Message Id: 2304317

Tegu questions

Depending on good they’re being fed and also some can just be bigger then others even with normal feeding...the Chacoan bloodline tends to put out some hefty big guys haha....TeguTerra is AWESOME with customer service and how they care for they’re animals aswell I know Johnny and have spoke with him personally a few times he’s a great guy! There’s a huge list of things you can feed your tegu and I’ve listed plenty in other posts in this forum if you look through you’ll see them but rodents , fruits , ground turkey , chicken , chicken cutlets , chicken gizzards , beef liver , chicken heart , whole shrimp , tilapia fish , chicks , quail , eggs , and plenty more can be offered to them in variety since you should always mix up what’s being fed and whole prey should be offered at least twice a week that’s very important. They naturally hibernate themselves but if you choose to keep them up and not let’s them go down that’s up to you but a lot of ppl let them go down since it’s what they naturally do and also plays a big part in breeding if I’m not mistaken....and if you do keep your tegu up through the winter they will slow down and not feed as heavy as they normally did and won’t be as active either. Cypress mulch is always the number one choice and a good amount for digging and burrowing is needed and having multiple hides is also ok and making sure they have enough space to have a hot and cool side is also important and the water dish is always gonna end up messy which is normal and should big a nice size water bowl but keep it small when it’s young just in case it might get caught in the water one day it’ll be easy for it to get out. Powersun bulbs are great and that’s what I use as my basking bulbs and I also have a uv on the cool side so my tegus are getting non-stop UVB exposure and also dusting they’re foods with calcium D-3 powder. And last I read what you wrote about keeping worms in the bedding and I don’t recommend this...tegus sometimes and even mine get very curious with bedding and tend to be very nippy and bite it and eat it and even ingest bedding for no reason and if it’s digging through it’s bedding and finding food that’ll cause your tegu to think there’s food in there all the time and it will dig all over and eat through the bedding until it finds food which isn’t good cause your tegu will end up becoming impacted and that is very dangerous because your tegu will have a bunch of cypress mulch in it’s belly and won’t be able to pass a bile movement and won’t eat and not be active either and tegus also sometimes pass due this problem so it’s best you have a feeding schedule for your tegu and just take it out the cage and feed it so you will never have this problem. Any more questions just post and I’ll answer as soon as I can Good luck!

04/11/14  08:47pm

Taycantarini
View Profile

Message To: KsTaR   In reference to Message Id: 2304537

Tegu questions

I looked on Tegu Terra and they are sold out of tegus. When do they get more.

04/21/14  05:16pm

KsTaR
View Profile

Message To: Taycantarini   In reference to Message Id: 2304739

Tegu questions

Give them a call sometimes they’ll be willing to sell a few well started hold backs they have but if not this upcoming summer check in like around June/July they should have hatchlings

04/21/14  09:12pm

Taycantarini
View Profile

Message To: KsTaR   In reference to Message Id: 2304746

Tegu questions

Thank you

04/25/14  06:43pm

Taycantarini
View Profile

Message To: Taycantarini   In reference to Message Id: 2304859

Tegu questions

I am trying to figure out how tall the cage should be. I would like to have at least one foot of substrate and a UVB light. The light only reaches 12 inches. How tall do tegus get so I can have the correct distance between the tegu and the UVB light.

05/17/14  06:18pm

Tempestborn
View Profile

Message To: Taycantarini   In reference to Message Id: 2305197

Tegu questions

contact ty park in florida. he has a facebook page. long experienced and reliable breeder; i have two animals from him, my tegu and my cyclura.

there’s also a facebook page called, "teguphiles." some good info, but some of the people are ridiculously snotty. still, it’s a good place to lurk and glean info.

jesse

06/15/14  07:05am

Back to Tegus Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area