Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Tegus Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Tegus Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

LeoLuvr   Reptictale92   LeoLuvr   Reptictale92   LeoLuvr   Reptictale92   LeoLuvr   Scottk   Reptictale92   LeoLuvr   Reptictale92   LeoLuvr   Reptictale92   LeoLuvr   Reptictale92   Scottk   Reptictale92   LeoLuvr   LeoLuvr   Reptictale92   LeoLuvr  

Member  Message

LeoLuvr
View Profile

New cage set up for Norbert!

Felt he needed an upgrade in his 55 gallon long.

01/27/13  03:52pm

Reptictale92
View Profile

Message To: LeoLuvr   In reference to Message Id: 2290624

Looks good. Dont get the gravel though.

01/27/13  05:31pm

LeoLuvr
View Profile

Message To: Reptictale92   In reference to Message Id: 2290628

The gravel?

Oh, the rocks?

I just put some around the water dish so the substrate doesn’t go in there.

01/27/13  08:21pm

Reptictale92
View Profile

Message To: LeoLuvr   In reference to Message Id: 2290638

Oh well in that case it looks good. The tegu looks health. what is the little guys diet like? at that size mines was extremly picky.

01/28/13  03:04pm

LeoLuvr
View Profile

Message To: Reptictale92   In reference to Message Id: 2290713

Well I got him at a reptile expo in...November I believe...yeah November the 13th I believe, and it was only a week and a half that he was eating before hibernation.

When I was updating his tank he was sleeping, but he came out to check everything out before going back to his cave.
I’ve offered food countless times however he has refused since about... 5 days before he went to sleep.

But in the short time that I had him and he was awake and eating- he loved, LOVED feeder fish. I would usually pick up about 4,5,6 little feeders from the store on my way home every other day and he’d eat them all up. He liked crickets, didn’t care for mealies at all. Wouldn’t take egg really (only offered it once) and didn’t take any fruits I offered him (expected that).

But he still looks nice and full, his tail might look slightly less round but nothing noticable at all.

Imm gonna offer some fish and crickets, an egg perhaps in a day or so and hope he’ll take it!

01/28/13  08:57pm

Reptictale92
View Profile

Message To: LeoLuvr   In reference to Message Id: 2290744

If you are doing feeder fish don’t do rosy reds or gold fish. They are bacteria infected. I breed lots of fish from cichlids to odd ball fish, and can’t tell you how many health problems come from feeding them. Get some catfish (You can, but or catch) and cut it up in bite size pieces, talipa, salmon, whole sunfish, or pearch.

01/28/13  11:06pm

LeoLuvr
View Profile

Message To: Reptictale92   In reference to Message Id: 2290758

Where would I buy catfish, or the other fish listed? also, how do you keep it? Freeze it...then take everyday or however often you feel him, thaw it out, or how does that work?

01/29/13  09:22am

Scottk
View Profile

Message To: LeoLuvr   In reference to Message Id: 2290786

You can get the fish from the grocery store. Get salmon and tilapia from there. I feed mine whole smelt that I get from an Asian seafood market. I make a batch of ground turkey mixed with cut up fish ( salmon or tilapia fillets) and then I freeze it and it will last for a long time. Make sure to put calcium powder on it. I feed him other things also eggs, blueberries, grapes. Roaches and small to medium rats, night crawlers. I forgot to mention I put them in appropriate sized sandwich baggies then freeze them, then all you have to do is thaw it out and feed.

01/29/13  01:11pm

Reptictale92
View Profile

Message To: Scottk   In reference to Message Id: 2290805

well I catch all my fish and feed whole, but you can get them from any store that will sell whole fish. Cut them in bite size chunks and freeze them.

01/29/13  01:38pm

LeoLuvr
View Profile

Message To: Reptictale92   In reference to Message Id: 2290808

Thanks for both of yall’s responses, although I really dont think that he will eat f/t fish/food.....

I’m actually kind of worried about him at the moment- on my way home today I had to get some crickets for my other animals and picked up three feeders for him.

I came home, put him in this tub and he ate the three fish, and offered crickets and what not. so this feed he ate three fish, and..4 crickets I believe. Thats a lot for him, especially just waking up.
What Im concerned about is the way he eats...its very strange. It makes me think that he is either a dummy, had poor eyesight or is attle brained! I video taped it, this is not normal...right?

The videos very long and you don’t have to watch very long into it to see what I’m talking about-

01/29/13  10:43pm

Reptictale92
View Profile

Message To: LeoLuvr   In reference to Message Id: 2290871

No worries it is just they way he likes to eat. My red when he has a bowl of tilapia, sunfish, and bass he would literally dig out the sunfish before he eats any-other fish in the bowl. One concern though is feeding him in a tub. Not trying to come off mean, but their is now use for it, don’t help with taming, food aggression or anything anyone else told you it would. All it does is stress them out more. At his size don’t worry about big fish like catfish or tilapia unless you want to trim them and cut them. Try putting meal worms in a bowl of egg yolk or crickets, and then you can try fuzzies. At that size and age they are so picky its good just to keep it simple.

01/30/13  09:21am

LeoLuvr
View Profile

Message To: Reptictale92   In reference to Message Id: 2290889

Okay, I’ll try the bowl of egg with mealies! How could be resist that :p

And about feeding in the tub- I just prefer to do it, I don’t think it stressed him out and by feeding him in the tub I can 1) not have him associate anything moving in his tank with food and 2) monitor more closely what he is eating and how much.

01/30/13  02:12pm

Reptictale92
View Profile

Message To: LeoLuvr   In reference to Message Id: 2290917

Lol yeah it does look good.

And the two reason you listed you can do from the cage. If you feed him crickets only do a dozen and if he is still hungry mix other foods. And the aggression thing is a myth. I feed mine in his cage and his food alertness is real high and some people see that as aggression. If you use thongs he will only act that way everytime he sees them I hand feed which alot of people will disagree on lol. We actually had a discussion on the monitor form on this same topic. See it this way after you are done eating a big meal do you want to be moved to another spot or relax where you are? Same with tegus after they eat they don’t want to be picked up, all they want is to go to sleep or bask. Again I am not trying to come off controlling just want to make sure you know all you can about tegus.

01/30/13  02:24pm

LeoLuvr
View Profile

Message To: Reptictale92   In reference to Message Id: 2290921

Oh, no I understand what you’re saying and I appreciate you giving all the information you can, I’ll take it into consideration however I really am just paranoid about him associating me with food.

THankyou!

01/30/13  02:42pm

Reptictale92
View Profile

Message To: LeoLuvr   In reference to Message Id: 2290925

No problem, and sooner or later we all get bit lol. Can’t tell you how many times I got bit mostly by snakes though and fish oddly.

01/30/13  03:42pm

Scottk
View Profile

Message To: Reptictale92   In reference to Message Id: 2290934

I second that motion on using tongs they work great. Then he wont see your hands with food and he will be less aggressive when you go to clean his cage or hold him. Eventually he won’t be as food aggressive I use a bright blue plate when I feed him and even when there’s no food on it he associates that plate with food. I don’t beleive in cage aggression either my guy eats inside his cage and outside and I can sit right next to him when he’s eating and not worry about getting bit. Tongs will definetly help you out in this matter

01/30/13  04:11pm

Reptictale92
View Profile

Message To: Scottk   In reference to Message Id: 2290945

No lie on the plate thing. I use a bowl and everytime I put it in there he tries to eat it before he sees his own food in the bowl. Makes me laugh everytime.

01/30/13  10:43pm

LeoLuvr
View Profile

Message To: Reptictale92   In reference to Message Id: 2290996

He’s not agressive now at all, I’m just trying to prevent it.
The tongs do seem like a good idea
I don;t understand how feeding him in a tub would stress him out, however.

Thats funny about the bowl haha xD

01/31/13  04:24pm

LeoLuvr
View Profile

Message To: Reptictale92   In reference to Message Id: 2290996

He’s not agressive now at all, I’m just trying to prevent it.
The tongs do seem like a good idea
I don;t understand how feeding him in a tub would stress him out, however.

Thats funny about the bowl haha xD

01/31/13  04:24pm

Reptictale92
View Profile

Message To: LeoLuvr   In reference to Message Id: 2291030

Right now you might not see it, but it will soon show when he gets larger. Not saying you can’t just saying when he gets bigger it will just see useless.

01/31/13  06:23pm

LeoLuvr
View Profile

Message To: Reptictale92   In reference to Message Id: 2291038

Okay, thank yall for the info!

02/03/13  11:37am

Back to Tegus Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area