Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Tegus Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Tegus Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Jsawyer89   Reptictale92   Jsawyer89   Reptictale92   Jsawyer89   Reptictale92   Cobrasfury   Reptictale92   Cobrasfury   Scottk   Scottk   Reptictale92   Scottk   Reptictale92   Scottk   Cazicsmom   Cazicsmom  

Member  Message

Jsawyer89
View Profile

New Red Tegu help..

I got a Red Tegu off craigslists a few days ago and im pretty sure she is in hibernation since all she does is go into her hide and kicks the dirt blocking the entrance to the hide. She seems healthy but has not eaten anything but i did not really think of it considering its a new environment and what not, she has drank though . I just wanted some thoughts on my new buddy and any advice is greatly appreciated.

01/07/13  09:21pm

Reptictale92
View Profile

Message To: Jsawyer89   In reference to Message Id: 2289080

New Red Tegu help..

I for one don’t listen to that whole hibernation crap. I had my red for 7 months now and he is 4ft long and not once has he stop eating, and went to sleep for a long time. I keep his cage basking spot at 115 and humidity around 75%-80%, about 7 inches of dirt, Sand, black mulch, and cypress mulch mixed, and feed him a diet of whole fish including small 5inch catfish, sunfish, perch, bass, squid, mussel meat, shrimp, meal worms, roaches, hopper mice (very rare) watermelon, strawberries, peaches, and pears, and a whole egg of any kind. Any where from field collected chicken egg to cockatails. and remember whole food only. If you stick to this your red will grow like crazy, and can I see a picture of the cage you have him in?

This is an old pic of red he has grown some since this one.

01/07/13  11:11pm

Jsawyer89
View Profile

Message To: Reptictale92   In reference to Message Id: 2289093

New Red Tegu help..

ofourse once i get home from work ill try and take some pics. So since she has decided to stay and borrow into her hide and has not been out since i took her out yesterday afternoon should i take out the crickets i dropped in there since she isnt showing any interest in them?

01/08/13  12:29pm

Reptictale92
View Profile

Message To: Jsawyer89   In reference to Message Id: 2289119

New Red Tegu help..

Yes you should, for the fact they can be harmful to the lizard unless you do what I did and put a small house gecko in there with the tegu to eat any un finished meals. And if she is hideing don’t pull her out let her be. All you can do is see if your humidity is right and temps are good.

01/08/13  01:13pm

Jsawyer89
View Profile

Message To: Reptictale92   In reference to Message Id: 2289121

New Red Tegu help..

okay i did pull her out this morning before work and she ate some crickets by hand and its about 65%-70% humidity and 85 degrees and 105-110 degrees basking shes in a 40 gallon breeder with eco earth substrate the one that comes in bricks and you have to mix with water,

01/08/13  01:26pm

Reptictale92
View Profile

Message To: Jsawyer89   In reference to Message Id: 2289123

New Red Tegu help..

Yeah I tried that with a few tegus and non seemed to like it. Try Dirt (you can buy it at homedepo or go to near by woods and get some) mixed with black mulch and cypress mulch, and sand.

01/08/13  02:27pm

Cobrasfury
View Profile

Message To: Jsawyer89   In reference to Message Id: 2289123

New Red Tegu help..

Quote:

eco earth substrate the one that comes in bricks and you have to mix with water

never use that crap its very harsh because 1 its a very dusty material unless its soaked 2 it can get into its eyes and mouth causing irritation and infection. best bet is the dirt mix and repti bark. other than that your temps sound good and humidity also. should look into a larger cage she will grow pretty quick. my male exploded when i put him in his 6x3x3 cage.

01/09/13  01:29am

Reptictale92
View Profile

Message To: Cobrasfury   In reference to Message Id: 2289172

New Red Tegu help..

Don’t use anything he suggested. The substarte I said is good cheap and better.

01/12/13  12:19pm

Cobrasfury
View Profile

Message To: Reptictale92   In reference to Message Id: 2289453

New Red Tegu help..

its kinda rude to say just ignore someone when i said that your substrate was good.

01/12/13  04:26pm

Scottk
View Profile

Message To: Cobrasfury   In reference to Message Id: 2289475

New Red Tegu help..

As far as hibernation goes if the tegu wants to hibernate that’s what it’s going to do. Hibernation is not a bunch of crap it the animals natural instinct taking over. My red I’ve had for about a yr and a half didn’t hibernate last winter but he is now. If the tegu burrows and it’s been 5-7 days since they came out pretty good chance they are starting hibernation. You can pick him up force him to wake up to try to force him to eat all that going to do is stress him out. Most all argentines hibernate Colombians don’t. Not saying every argentine hibernates but a majority do. When the tegu hibernates you should lower the ambient over all air temp but keep a basking spot. Why lower the temp people ask, because having high heat while they are down for the count causes they’re metabolism to keep working at a normal speed and since they’re not eating they burn through the fat reserves quicker than anticipated and they become malnourished. They have an internal clock or what ever wording you want to use, but it let’s them know when to start hibernating and it can’t be stopped it has to be accepted. I was bummed that my guy went down this year because he didn’t last year. Hes been down for about a month and he comes out once every 4-5 days and bask for about ten min. I’ve tried feeding he refuses everything. I took him out To let him roam and he went right back into his burrow. You can tell when they’re starting hibernation, 1st they will eat less and less, 2nd they will start getting sluggish, 3rd they will start sleeping more and coming out less, and finally when it’s been about a week since you’ve seen him more than likley they’re in full hibernation. Bottom line is if they’re going to hibernate let them. I know this was a long post but I feel that hibernation should be understood by tegu owners because that’s what tegus do. And
repticale I guareentee you at some point down the road your tegu will hibernate. As far as substrate I just use cypress mulch works great and hold humidity well.

01/12/13  05:49pm

Scottk
View Profile

Message To: Scottk   In reference to Message Id: 2289482

New Red Tegu help..

Its actually called brumation. Because its metabolism, which is directly related to temp and season, slows down mostly because of the cold...to the degree that it hardly uses any energy over the course of the winter. The animal is still "awake" and still semi-active (though very sluggish), but it’s cold enough, and its metabolism is slow enough, that it actually doesn’t lose any significant weight during the winter. Just putting this out there as to why lower the temps I didn’t think my first explanation in my previous post wasnt in depth enough.

01/12/13  06:03pm

Reptictale92
View Profile

Message To: Scottk   In reference to Message Id: 2289483

New Red Tegu help..

So for you saying mine was good I should lie an say yours is alright? Lol wrong, and to scottk I like that you bring up temperature. I keep my tegus cage at 130 as it reads now and at night is gets to about 80-75. Has anybody look at the temp in their cage when this long sleep happens? I can understand them going into this when their cage when the day is over and you turn your lights off gets to a level where they think its winter. To me my tegus cage will not be cold enough to him to get like that. Just a question.

01/12/13  07:07pm

Scottk
View Profile

Message To: Reptictale92   In reference to Message Id: 2289494

New Red Tegu help..

To answer your question as best I can and that’s based off my expirence, two months ago I fineshed his final enclosure which is 10ftlx 5ftwx 4fthigh and he has two basking platforms on the hot side one gets to about 120 degrees and the other about 100 degrees. Now with both of these lights on the hit side ambient temp was about 90 ish, and the cool side about 75-80. When I started seeing his signs of brumation I kept the temps like this and he still slowed down and started sleeping alot more I finally gave in and I turn his uv light on and the basking spot that’s on the far right side. Because I figured I was just wasting electricity and he comes out to bask every 4-5 days but only for about ten minutes. So in all honesty if they want to brumate they are going to do it regardless of the temps.

01/13/13  02:40am

Reptictale92
View Profile

Message To: Scottk   In reference to Message Id: 2289546

New Red Tegu help..

Ahh I see what you are saying. What are you using to measure temps?

01/13/13  01:36pm

Scottk
View Profile

Message To: Reptictale92   In reference to Message Id: 2289564

New Red Tegu help..

I use a temp gun.

01/13/13  02:56pm

Cazicsmom
View Profile

Message To: Scottk   In reference to Message Id: 2289573

New Red Tegu help..

This was discussed on thetegu forum boards last summer. It is a fact that reptiles who hibernate/brumate (interchangeable terms) are going to do it, regardless of the temps. There could possibly be a link between the atmospheric pressure and their sleeping schedule - thus temps are not the instigator of their behaviour. I keep my temps about the same all year in the house for the lizards, and when it gets colder outside, they start slowing down on their eating. Some never hibernate, and some do. Even with Argentine Tegus - though most of them do go down for at least a few days.

01/21/13  04:49pm

Cazicsmom
View Profile

Message To: Cazicsmom   In reference to Message Id: 2290159

New Red Tegu help..

As to answer your question J - it could be hibernation - check with the previous owner. If she was sleeping then, she is just trying to continue. If she wasn’t, it is probably just needing to get used to new surroundings. Even if the cage is the same, the view outside her cage has changed and she will need to have that adjustment time to get used to it. Just be patient with her and see what she is doing. Do not pull her out of her hide much at this time, as she needs to have a place she can go and feel safe and secure, especially until she is used to you.

Good luck

01/21/13  04:58pm

Back to Tegus Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area