Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Tegus Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Tegus Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

MacGyver   Reptictale92   MacGyver   Varanus656   LeoLuvr   LeoLuvr   MacGyver   Rokdog   MacGyver   MacGyver   MacGyver  

Member  Message

MacGyver
View Profile

MacGyver our Red Tegu

Greetings all. New to the forum and wanted to introduce our baby, MacGyver.

He is only 4.5 months old now but getting huge already. We got him when he was only a month old & 11 inches long... now 3.5 months later he is 32 inches long and 1.3kg.

He is already as tame as a dog & follows us around the house. He eats 90% of his meals from hand and has never biten on purpose or accidentally during feeding... he always eats very calmly... and he eats a ton.

Compilation clip of all our video of him so far... hope you enjoy =)

11/14/12  09:13am

Reptictale92
View Profile

Message To: MacGyver   In reference to Message Id: 2285364

MacGyver our Red Tegu

The only thing I can say is he is not a dog, so why call him like one? And don’t say that you tap your hand on the floor and call his name an he comes running. He thinks you have food or your hand is food till he gets there and figures it out. Other then that he looks healthy any missing toes, tip of tails?

11/14/12  01:51pm

MacGyver
View Profile

Message To: Reptictale92   In reference to Message Id: 2285377

MacGyver our Red Tegu

No missing toes & his tail is fully intact. The only health issue he has had so far was a minor case of impaction due to stress & lack of proper temps for a couple days when we lost power from hurricane Sandy. A few hour bath, belly rub, and an enema finally allowed him to pass a large hard sphere of urates & he has been fine ever since.

11/14/12  02:12pm

Varanus656
View Profile

Message To: MacGyver   In reference to Message Id: 2285378

MacGyver our Red Tegu

I watch your vids on YouTube

11/25/12  04:06pm

LeoLuvr
View Profile

Message To: MacGyver   In reference to Message Id: 2285364

MacGyver our Red Tegu

IS THIS THE YOUTUBE MACGYVER!?

11/29/12  04:21pm

LeoLuvr
View Profile

Message To: LeoLuvr   In reference to Message Id: 2286665

MacGyver our Red Tegu

That was stupid of me, didn’t read the entire post xD

Love your videos, its what convinced me into getting my tegu :p

11/29/12  06:39pm

MacGyver
View Profile

Message To: LeoLuvr   In reference to Message Id: 2286683

MacGyver our Red Tegu

Yup, thats him. Glad you enjoyed enough to enter the wonderful world of tegu ownership =)

12/03/12  04:46am

Rokdog
View Profile

Message To: MacGyver   In reference to Message Id: 2286969

MacGyver our Red Tegu

whats his diet staple..?

& he looks great, if he comes running when you call him keep doing so
as it will be easier to find him if he should go on a solo adventure one day.

thanks for sharing

12/03/12  01:29pm

MacGyver
View Profile

Message To: Rokdog   In reference to Message Id: 2286985

MacGyver our Red Tegu

His diet is pretty varied. It’s about 1/2 whole rodents (currently XL hairless mice from rodentpro.com ...he prefers feeders with no hair and will eat more of them.) The other half is mostly fish fillets: lots of tilapia, trout, and some salmon. He also gets on special occasions a little of some other seafood that we buy for ourselves... a few scallops here and there, and also really likes crab and shrimp. He gets a boiled egg about once a week, and also gets a whole egg shell for extra calcium (crumpled up into a small ball so there are no large sharp pieces) whenever we eat an egg ( a few times a week). We have never used any kind of supplements or vitamins. He doesn’t really like fruit yet, but we get him to eat grapes occasionally by dipping them in a raw egg.

In the past we have also fed him whole ground birds (pheasant, turkey, chicken, duck, goose, quail) from hare-today.com, but its a little more messy to deal with so we’ve been avoiding that recently. We also picked up some day old quail and chicks from rodentpro.com on our last order. He will eat the quail if we cover it in raw egg, but I have not tried the chicks yet (probably in a few weeks... they are a little bigger than I want him trying to swallow right now)

12/03/12  09:41pm

MacGyver
View Profile

Message To: Rokdog   In reference to Message Id: 2286985

MacGyver our Red Tegu

His diet is pretty varied. It’s about 1/2 whole rodents (currently XL hairless mice from rodentpro.com ...he prefers feeders with no hair and will eat more of them.) The other half is mostly fish fillets: lots of tilapia, trout, and some salmon. He also gets on special occasions a little of some other seafood that we buy for ourselves... a few scallops here and there, and also really likes crab and shrimp. He gets a boiled egg about once a week, and also gets a whole egg shell for extra calcium (crumpled up into a small ball so there are no large sharp pieces) whenever we eat an egg ( a few times a week). We have never used any kind of supplements or vitamins. He doesn’t really like fruit yet, but we get him to eat grapes occasionally by dipping them in a raw egg.

In the past we have also fed him whole ground birds (pheasant, turkey, chicken, duck, goose, quail) from hare-today.com, but its a little more messy to deal with so we’ve been avoiding that recently. We also picked up some day old quail and chicks from rodentpro.com on our last order. He will eat the quail if we cover it in raw egg, but I have not tried the chicks yet (probably in a few weeks... they are a little bigger than I want him trying to swallow right now)

12/03/12  09:41pm

MacGyver
View Profile

Message To: MacGyver   In reference to Message Id: 2287034

MacGyver our Red Tegu

sorry about double post. feel free to delete that second one + this message if anyone has that ability

12/03/12  09:44pm

Back to Tegus Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area