Tegus Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Tegus Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Kasmut   Kasmut   KsTaR  

Member  Message

Kasmut
View Profile

Tegu Tips?

I just got my first black and white Argentinian (not sexed yet). I’m not sure how old he is but he’s small enough to where he fits in the 20 gallon I set up for him. I have some questions about housing. I do realize he will outgrow the 20 gallon, but my question is how fast? I plan on making a custom enclosure once I have the time, but for now will the 20 gallon suffice?

I also have another problem, I got him a driftwood log for basking and as a hide spot, the tip of the log is right underneath the UV lamp and the temperature keeps getting far too hot (110+ but im not sure if it gets any hotter as that is the max my thermometer goes to) It’s 100 watt and I’m just wondering if I should downgrade for now until I get an enclosure with more space? I just ordered a lamp stand from zoo med and I’m hoping the extra distance will help with the temp regulation.

Also for feeding, I’ve been giving him calcium dusted crickets, and I’m just wondering how many I should give him daily? The guy at the expo told me "till he’s full" but that isn’t really good enough lol.

Also any other tips you guys could give me for a first time owner would be greatly appreciated. I want to give him the best care that I’m able.

08/18/12  06:16pm

Kasmut
View Profile

Message To: Kasmut   In reference to Message Id: 2277198

Tegu Tips?

A photo of his setup.

08/18/12  06:49pm

KsTaR
View Profile

Message To: Kasmut   In reference to Message Id: 2277200

Tegu Tips?

tegus grow fairly fast depending on how much you feed them and on how big of a appetite they have....the 20 gallon will be good for a hatchling to a small juvenile...you should start working on that enclosure asap though because Argentine black and whites are the second biggest of the tegu family the first is Reds. downgrade the heat bulb and also don’t place the heat bulb under the heat lamp if its high...itll get too hot for your little guy and also burn the drift wood and also downgrade the watts and monitor the temps and see what works best for you and your little guy. a couple hide outs maybe 2 or 3 with some places to lay and hangout and a cool side with a good size water bowl and cypress mulch bedding should be all you need besides the hot side of course. Tegus also need UV and i always use Powersun heat bulbs which give heat and UVA/UVB at the same time and then i also had a UV on the cool side so where ever hes at hes getting his UV and also be sure to buy powder supplements like Calcium powder and Multivitamin Powder and if you don’t use cypress mulch i recommend you buy eco-earth coco-husk....or coco-fiber you can buy it at petland....the baby tegus are very curious at times and if they bite and ate some cypress mulch it can be harmful so at times if i see i have a curious one i use the coco-fiber it will be less harmful since its natural and can be alot easier to pass in bile instead of them ingesting cypress mulch. either two of these bedding’s will be great due to the fact that they both hold great amounts of humidity....i don’t recommend aspen or anything with pine and coloring because its very harmful and aspen has a very high dust residue that can cause respiratory infections to your tegu. feed him gutload insects in the morning and if you can do lunch feed him some light meals but for sure make sure dinner is heavy and eventually he will not take insects anymore and you can then feed him heavy foods from breakfast to dinner. i recommend you go to home-depot and buy a timer clock so u can plug in the lights and set a time you want the lights to go off and on so it saves you from getting up and turning lights on and off and it will also help him adjust to his days and you’ll start to see him going down even before the lights go out but the good thing is the lights will turn on and he will start basking even before you get up and all you have to do is get up and handle him for a bit before you feed him and he will be ready due to the fact that hes been basking thanks to the timer that will turn on the lights for you just set the time on and off and plug both fixtures in and plug the timer in and you’re good to go. any more questions you might have just leave them here and ill help you ouy AND HANDLE HANDLE HANDLE YOUR TEGU!!!!! SOCIALIZE HIM WITH YOU AND EARN HIS TRUST BECAUSE YOU DON’T WANT A 4 FOOT LIZARD THAT DON’T LIKE YOU AS YOUR PET...

08/22/12  06:57pm

Back to Tegus Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area