Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Tegus Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Tegus Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Chameleon_man   Scott_k   Chameleon_man   Scott_k   Chameleon_man   Scott_k   Chameleon_man   Scott_k   Chameleon_man   Scott_k   Chameleon_man   Scott_k   Chameleon_man  

Member  Message

Chameleon_man
View Profile

Argentina black and white

I am thinking about getting a BW here soon. I have a 75 gallon all set up and ready for him. I just have a few questions about them, I have researched a LOT but some things are unclear.

can you feed canned dog food? and when i say canned i mean the good dog food NOT dog chow, IAMS or anything like that, I mean blue buffalo, natural balance. some say yes and some say no. what is your opinion.

I am just getting so many mixed answers about feeding. so what do you feed yours?

06/10/12  09:40pm

Scott_k
View Profile

Message To: Chameleon_man   In reference to Message Id: 2269514

I wouldn’t recommend it. I never fed my tegu or monitors dog food. As a baby he can eat crickets, mealworms, super worms, small roaches. I feed mine ground turkey(raw), eggs( boiled or scrambled) some people feed raw or the whole egg shell and all, I never have. Mice to ensure he gets ample calcium. Fruits like blue berries, bannas, mangos, strawberries. Since my guy is pretty big meal worms don’t cut it so I give him superworms large, large roaches. Fish salmon fillets I cut up or whole fish cut up. When feeding any food without bones use calcium powder on it. I think in the long run ground turkey would be cheaper than dog food, just my 2 cents. I hope this helped.

06/12/12  04:39pm

Chameleon_man
View Profile

Message To: Scott_k   In reference to Message Id: 2269782

thanks it does help :-) what about whole fish? like whole fish? and can i feed skin banana or just inside? what should i feed as a staple diet? like everyday thing? eggs?

06/12/12  04:54pm

Scott_k
View Profile

Message To: Chameleon_man   In reference to Message Id: 2269784

I feed just the bannana inside. Yes he can eat whole fish I forgot to mention that. For my staple I use ground turkey mixed with fish, superworms and roaches, and fruit. Every other day I will give him a mouse. I like this diet because it’s fairly cheap. I make little bags of turkey and fish,freeze them then let them thaw before feeding time. Then add the others stuff in his food bowl. There a million different ways you can make a staple diet. This forum for tegus is kind of dead. Tegu talk has alot of info on everything related to tegus. As far a mice go people will always debate over how often they should eat them. They are high in fat but I really feed him them so I know he’s getting enough calcium. Some people will say I feed mine too much mice others will agree that that’s fine. My guy has a whole room to wander in daily so he gets alot of exercise, so I dont worry about them being high in fat.

06/12/12  05:21pm

Chameleon_man
View Profile

Message To: Scott_k   In reference to Message Id: 2269791

Sweet. Ok so when you say ground turkey do you mean like what comes tubes at Walmart?

06/12/12  05:28pm

Scott_k
View Profile

Message To: Chameleon_man   In reference to Message Id: 2269794

Yep.

06/12/12  05:54pm

Chameleon_man
View Profile

Message To: Scott_k   In reference to Message Id: 2269797

lol just cheacking. Ok now for last two questions (It think) why not wet dog food? can i feed fish from outside? I know both of these questions alwasy start an argument between people but i would like to know why. I have a clean pond i can get litteraly 1000s perch in. how often can i feed him fish? from what i have read some people say since tegues have really "hard stomachs" so then can handle more stuff. is this true in your opinion?

06/12/12  07:01pm

Scott_k
View Profile

Message To: Chameleon_man   In reference to Message Id: 2269809

From talking to people and what I’ve read dog food is very high in fat and also has bacteria in it. Dog food has been sketchy for me so I just stay away from it plus a whole mouse or rat is way more nutritious for the tegu. As for the fish that shouldnt be a problem getting them from the pond. I would just freeze them for a day before I feed him just to ensure any bacteria in the fish is dead. Tegus are like garbage disposals. Feeding time with mine last an hr, and I let him eat as much as he wants in that time. If he fineshed what I give him before times up I’ll give him more, but there will be days when he won’t finish his main serving. Your tegu will let u know when he’s had enough.

06/13/12  12:46pm

Chameleon_man
View Profile

Message To: Scott_k   In reference to Message Id: 2269874

Good enough reason for me :-) how about hibernation? I would rather not hib my tegu.

06/13/12  10:39pm

Scott_k
View Profile

Message To: Chameleon_man   In reference to Message Id: 2269955

Mine never has hibernated. I believe it’s important though if you plan on breeding him/her. But it won’t effect your tegus health or anything like that. I’m not a breeder so I can’t say. But they don’t have to. Your tegu will get alot bigger faster when they don’t hibernate.

06/13/12  11:32pm

Chameleon_man
View Profile

Message To: Scott_k   In reference to Message Id: 2269958

So I dont need to do anything special? Any other random advice? I will start him off in a 75 gallon tank and build when I need to

06/14/12  08:13am

Scott_k
View Profile

Message To: Chameleon_man   In reference to Message Id: 2269970

You don’t have to do anything special. Mine is very active, so I don’t do anything out of the ordinary. One thing is that they can be come food aggressive. Mine he has a blue bowl that he associates food with, and I have tongs with blue rubber on the end. When he sees those 2 items he’s knows it’s feeding time. I would recommend tong feeding it will help to build trust and getting him to come to you.

06/14/12  02:03pm

Chameleon_man
View Profile

Message To: Scott_k   In reference to Message Id: 2270001

Well sounds good to me :-) I will get him in a few weeks :-)

06/14/12  03:22pm

Back to Tegus Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area