Tegus Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Tegus Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

ThatORANGEguy   Nile/water monitors   Chanti09   Nile/water monitors  

Member  Message

ThatORANGEguy
View Profile

Tegu Housing Situation

My Argentine Black and white hatchling will be coming next month, and i have everything i need except the actual enclosure, i hear a 4x2x3 is fine for a hatchling but my dad probably wont be too happy with having to buy a whole new enclosure in a year or so, so my real question is can i keep him in a 6x2x2 as a juvinile and as it gets older or are there any stress related behaviors that they display when being in an enclosure the large when they are small, please give me your input on if its is ok or not, thank you

-B.Orange

05/12/12  07:03am

Nile/water monitors
View Profile

Message To: ThatORANGEguy   In reference to Message Id: 2266136

Tegu Housing Situation

I would build at least 6 x 4 x 3 enclosure with a solid top and the door on the front. He should be fine in the enclosure. While he is still small and just to keep better track of him, put his hides, basking area and feeding area on one end of the enclosure and keep the other end kinda bare. As he get older/bigger add more hides in the other end of the enclosure so he can utilize the whole enclosure. In the mean time you could put logs and things to explore in the bare end just to get him to wonder around and explore.

05/12/12  08:51pm

Chanti09
View Profile

Message To: Nile/water monitors   In reference to Message Id: 2266203

Tegu Housing Situation

Is a hide the place where they go that’s not lighted?

05/23/12  08:37am

Nile/water monitors
View Profile

Message To: Chanti09   In reference to Message Id: 2267354

Tegu Housing Situation

The hides are places where the animal can go and hide from the world when they need to feel safe, like a hallow log, burring under the substrate(soil), there own little safe place. Hides are very important because if a animal can feel safe they tend to go off feeding and become very stressed and serious health problems will result from this.

05/25/12  09:27pm

Back to Tegus Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area