Tegus Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Tegus Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Snakenator   Terp91   Venom6547   Terp91   Venom6547   Terp91   Venom6547  

Member  Message

Snakenator
View Profile

Cage ideas.

I wanted to know if anyone knew where to buy a tegu cage from, or a cheap one to make. I would prefer one that isn’t going to cost a billion $s.

02/25/12  04:44pm

Terp91
View Profile

Message To: Snakenator   In reference to Message Id: 2256839

Cage ideas.

It’d be fairly easy to make if you have some basic tools and access to a vehicle that can transport full 4x8 sheets of plywood. Just basically make a box using 3/4" thick ply or OSB. Use 2x4s to make a frame and use either a slider window or two pieces of glass in tracks for the top half of the front. Just be aware before you build it that an 8x4 footprint with 18" of substrate will be incredibly heavy (think 1500-3000 lbs heavy), so you need to be sure the floor can handle that weight.

Look around at other people’s enclosures for ideas. I just finished my first enclosure recently and it was actually a lot easier to build than I had anticipated. Granted it’s much smaller than what you’ll need but I don’t think making a larger cage would be too different.

03/08/12  08:01pm

Venom6547
View Profile

Message To: Terp91   In reference to Message Id: 2258140

Cage ideas.

I just built an 8x4x4 cage with 5 sheets of plywood and 14, 2x2x8’s and built it in my woodshop class at school last week in sections then assembled it in my bedroom it cost me 26$ for the 2x2x8’s and the plywood i got was free but its like $7 in change for each sheet it cost under 90$ including light bulbs i got 60watt halogen spot lights and i got 2inch screws but i would go with 2 3/4 instead.

I can get pics of the actual building process off my phone later if you’d like or private message me for building plans and all that I literally drew it on graph paper then built the cage from just imagining it.

03/08/12  10:17pm

Terp91
View Profile

Message To: Venom6547   In reference to Message Id: 2258169

Cage ideas.

Be careful using spot lights, it’d be better to switch to floods because they still give a hot basking area but will reduce the risk of a burn in the center of the coverage area. If your temps are good then you should be fine just check right in the center of the beam for hottest spot. Cage looks great btw, and where in the world do you get plywood that cheap? The hardware stores by me charge an arm and a leg for it, like $15-20 a sheet!

03/10/12  12:27am

Venom6547
View Profile

Message To: Terp91   In reference to Message Id: 2258274

Cage ideas.

Sorry, They are floodlights i didn’t know there was a difference and thank you very much it didn’t take much effort or time and the level of dirt in the cage is not the amount im keeping i just havent gotten around to getting more. If i mix regular dirt with that white sand/dirt stuff would that be safe because my buddy who works at a cemetary is letting me get some white dirt because it holds burrows well and i was going to mix it with regular dirt to make a nice combo

and the plywood i got at lowes was the particle plywood, i have no idea why it would be 15-20$ a sheet that’s crazy you could probably find plywood cheap if not free on craigslist I never knew a cage that large would be so easy and cheap to build.

Good luck with you cage.

03/10/12  08:18pm

Terp91
View Profile

Message To: Venom6547   In reference to Message Id: 2258353

Cage ideas.

The only difference between them is how wide the beam is, it’d say on the bulb/box what kind they are if you’re ever not sure.

I’m not sure what the white dirt you’re talking about is, do you know what it’s called or what all is in it? I’d just be concerned that it may have chemicals added or could include perlite which I don’t think should be used but am not 100% sure. I’d say just stick with regular top soil dirt or fill dirt as long as there aren’t pesticides in it. You could also add sand to it if the dirt gets too muddy/thick.

I’ll be sure to look around a bit more before I build next time and see if I can find any at those prices.

03/15/12  12:59pm

Venom6547
View Profile

Message To: Terp91   In reference to Message Id: 2258901

Cage ideas.

It has nothing added to it since it is usually dug up about 10 feet down underneath top soil when the graves will be dug and yeah keep checking around prices usually drop with the seasons

03/16/12  04:27pm

Back to Tegus Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area