Tegus Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Tegus Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Justinr208   Nile/water monitors   Justinr208   Nile/water monitors  

Member  Message

Justinr208
View Profile

Need advice asap

so i have a 3 year old black and white tegu who has been eating fine until the last few months
he in a 6X3X3 and can free roam anytime he wants, his basking area is at 110-115 and the hot side is at about 82-90 with the cool being 75-80. i keep him on about 3inches of cypress mulch because he has never burrowed except in his hide which is made from 2x4s and the humidity is at around 60-80 while dropping to about 30-50% at night. Everyday he used to accept eggs, mice, chicks, ground turkey, gizzards(never any fruits execpt the occasional bannana he would eat). he still comes out and basks for about 3-5hours a day but then returns to his hide until the next day, the only time he eats is about 1-2times per week but never anything big, only a few gizzards or a bite of turkey. Any info would be greatly apprciated, thankyou.

02/05/12  05:07pm

Nile/water monitors
View Profile

Message To: Justinr208   In reference to Message Id: 2254031

Need advice asap

Your numbers sound good. I would suggest you alter his diet. Try sticking with whole prey foods. Inverts like roaches, super worms, etc., Fertilized eggs, F/T (Frozen/thawed) mice/chicks. I have a 30 day frozen on my feeder mice to help kill the risk of parasites. Dust your gut loaded feeder inverts with Calcium. You need to remember that infertile eggs and ground meats and meat cuts lack most of what your reptile need to function properly. These food items turn to sludge in the intestinal track and just lays in there and turns to poison after a while causing organ damage. Whole prey food items have everything they need to clean out the intestinal track and support health. Have you tried blue berries, black berries, raspberries on him? Just to try and cover all bases, I’d suggest taking a fecal sample to the vet and rule out parasites. I think if you change to a whole prey (bone,fur, exoskeleton, organs, hide, 100% whole prey) in a few weeks he should show signs of improvement. Offer small meals in the am and them another in the pm. Smaller meals more often work better than one large meal a day. Hope this helps, keep us updated.

02/06/12  08:47am

Justinr208
View Profile

Message To: Nile/water monitors   In reference to Message Id: 2254147

Need advice asap

I,ll try to feed more whole foods but my tegu will not accept any type of fruit ,any ideas for that? and for the whole foods would shrimp and live fish such as goldfish or something work. also thankyou for the info

02/06/12  06:22pm

Nile/water monitors
View Profile

Message To: Justinr208   In reference to Message Id: 2254256

Need advice asap

Some Tegus are stubborn and only eat what they like. Try mixing a little fruit/veggies with the foods he will take. Whole shrimp ( shells head guts 100%) here and there is OK as well are the whole smelts but I’d steer clear of gold fish. The gold fish carrie a lot of parasites, gold fish are always just added to holding tanks that are already infested with parasites from all the fish that have ever been placed in the holding tank. Hope that makes sense. Its best to try to mimic as close as possible a natural wild diet for your reptiles. I can’t say enough good about the inverts as the largest part of the diet. With a pair of feeding tongs its easy to feed roaches, supers, etc..

02/06/12  07:20pm

Back to Tegus Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area