Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Tegus Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Tegus Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Rachelizzie   Rachelizzie   Nile/water monitors   Rachelizzie   Nile/water monitors  

Member  Message

Rachelizzie
View Profile

My 5 month tegu is having trouble shedding.

We mist his cage every day, we soak him every other or every three days. We’ve had him for about three months. He is 18 inches long, we’re keeping him in a 50 gallon tank with cypress mulch and a basket weave hide, some rocks and a big water bowl.
He has wounds on his thumbs on his front feet, we think the skin is constricting. One looks deeper than the other. He has bubbles of dried skin covering his palms. My boyfriend has been really gently trying to pry off the skin, but he isn’t liking it. It’s a two-person process where I’ve got to hold him upside down and my boyfriend messes with his feet. We’ve heard to soak in an Iodine/Water solution, so we’re going to go get some soon. Just worried. Any thoughts are much appreciated!

01/15/12  12:47am

Rachelizzie
View Profile

Message To: Rachelizzie   In reference to Message Id: 2251077

Oh, and we’ve been feeding him scrambled eggs. He won’t take any bugs unless they’re mixed with something. We put minerall on the eggs after they’re cooked. We feed him in a 10 gallon tank in his own bowl. He likes ground turkey, but admittedly we’ve forgotten to get it the last few store runs. The only way he’ll eat bugs is if we mix them in the ground turkey. He won’t touch crickets. ever.

01/15/12  12:54am

Nile/water monitors
View Profile

Message To: Rachelizzie   In reference to Message Id: 2251078

Hello rachelizzie,
I’m a big fan of "whole prey food items" Inverts, small rodents, fish, chicks, snails,etc.. I feel that if these animals don’t get cooked or processed foods in the wild we shouldn’t up set or rune their digestive systems/organs with UN-natural foods. It just causes health problems for the animals down the road and shortens their lives. Remember that meat cuts are not whole prey food items, they lack bone/exoskeletons for calcium and organs for a slue of other vits./minerals that our reptiles need to function properly. Get yourself a pair of feeding tongs from the pet store and some Dubai roaches/super worms and mix up some raw egg with calcium and vitamins and dunk the feeder inverts in it and slowly offer it to your tegu.

Quote:

We mist his cage every day, we soak him every other or every three days.

Ok, you enclosure is a fish tank, tanks don’t hold heat/humidity very well at all, it all evaporates through the open top. I use substrate of moist earth soil/sand mix(50-50 mix) 12"-24" deep. This drastically reduces the need to mist/soak your reptile and it helps "allot" when it comes to shedding, and what most people don’t realize is this substrate helps to keep your reptile hydrated, its not kept in a dry enclosure this way. Your basking area should be 110 degrees and very close to the hide out. This way he can bask and feel safe knowing if need be he can shoot into his hide when he feels threatened. This helps lower stress. Other things that cause stress is forced handling and handling too often. These things can cause a reptile to go "off feeding", give him two-three hides and "NEVER" pull him from a safe hide. If you do he will never feel safe.

Quote:

He has wounds on his thumbs on his front feet, we think the skin is constricting. soak in an Iodine/Water solution

Soak the foot twice a day for a few days and let air dry before returning to enclosure.

Quote:

My boyfriend has been really gently trying to pry off the skin, but he isn’t liking it.

This is where the proper substrate comes in, don’t pull off the shedding, let him wonder around in lukewarm water until it comes off.

Quote:

It’s a two-person process where I’ve got to hold him upside down

Most people don’t know this, but placing reptile on their backs makes it really hard for it to breath properly. That’s why we never see a reptile sleeping on their backs like mammals do.

Quote:

We put mineral on the eggs after they’re cooked.

Mineral oil should only be used if you have reason to believe there may be impaction problems. Feed him in the same enclosure he lives in, moving him to a tank may stop him from feeding do to stress of being in a UN-safe area. Have you tried fruits and veggies on him? Generally reptile do best in "closed enclosures" with "solid tops" and front door access, moist substrate, two-three hides, proper basking lights, ambient temp.s, humidity%, whole prey diets, (proper diets),water, "LOW STRESS". Another thing to remember is reptiles kept in cool enclosures will not properly digest their foods and many health issues will be a large stress on the reptile and this is why most reptiles don’t make it more than 6 mo.s -1 yr old. If a reptile is kept in prop-er living conditions and feed as close as possible a natural diet, it can live 15-20 years. Please keep us posted on this little guy. Feel free to ask questions:) One other thing, I do recommend a non-contact infrared laser temp. gun (Harbor freight about $40.00) it gives you instant surface temp. readings, basking areas, water, substrate, and even the surface temp. of your reptile. It takes the guess work out.

01/15/12  12:44pm

Rachelizzie
View Profile

Message To: Nile/water monitors   In reference to Message Id: 2251129

Thank you for the advice.

He really won’t touch bugs, though. Or anything that appears to be moving. He doesn’t eat them at all. I used to mix superworms in with the turkey, and he would only eat the turkey if the worm was completely covered.

Which type of soil do you use to mix with sand? We have him on newspaper until his feet are healed. We put iodine on his hurts last night before we put him back in.

Oh, and just to be clear, we don’t feed him mineral oil. I meant Miner-all, I just left out the dash.

01/15/12  10:10pm

Nile/water monitors
View Profile

Message To: Rachelizzie   In reference to Message Id: 2251199

If you have a big yard and know it isn’t being sprayed with fertilizers/plant foods/pesticides you can use it. I have used soil from the local sand and gravel places, a coupe big plastic tots make things really easy. You can also go to the local farm and garden stores and ask for plane old top soil with no additives, 100% dirt. Be careful, some sales people will try to sell you organic potting soils, nitrates and other stuff that’s good for plants but will kill your Tegu. OK, Miner-all not mineral oil, That makes more sense. Sorry about that. This may sound gross but mash in the inverts into the turkey, over time use less turkey and more inverts to the mix. Just hate to see him come down with a case of MBD from lack of proper Calcium. Meat cuts have like no fiber and can and will turn to slug in the gut of the animals and will damage his organs over time. Even the hide of a mouse will some what act like fiber and clean out the digestive tract, so a coupe mice or chicks a month is good and acts as a multi-vitamin as well. Try rolling the mice in turkey to get the sent on it, see what happens. F/T (Frozen/Thawed) rodents are best to use as feeders. Try some F/T pinky’s rolled in turkey.

01/16/12  08:18am

Back to Tegus Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area