Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Tegus Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Tegus Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Venom6547   Venom6547   Canadiangirl   Venom6547   Nile/water monitors   Canadiangirl   Buda87  

Member  Message

Venom6547
View Profile

Uh big problem.. anus hanging out..

i came home today and found my tegu out basking and what seemed like a larger poop was hanging out so i put him in the tub and when it washed all the dirt off i saw that its anus is outside of his body....does anyone know what could have caused this ? and what i should do now that i dont want it to get dirty and infected? im calling the vet now to see when i can bring him and find out whats going on.. i really dont know what it could be and i really dont want to lost him hes been fine since i got him in may hes about 21 inches long
any help will be greatly greatly appreciated thank you so much

09/15/11  02:12pm

Venom6547
View Profile

Message To: Venom6547   In reference to Message Id: 2237030

Along with it hanging out i discovered what look like little white worms on his rectum.. and the closest vet is about 45min away which im going to asap today

09/15/11  03:07pm

Canadiangirl
View Profile

Message To: Venom6547   In reference to Message Id: 2237033

Good luck at the vet, good call on taking him!

09/15/11  11:32pm

Venom6547
View Profile

Message To: Canadiangirl   In reference to Message Id: 2237095

I took him to the vet yesterday and by the time i got him there it must have went back since they couldnt see it so all they did was deworm him. When i called a local reptile shop to see what i could they told he was most likely going to die.. I was so devastated but after reading about prolaspes i read that its common in tegus and theyre usually fine afterwards.

09/16/11  06:28am

Nile/water monitors
View Profile

Message To: Venom6547   In reference to Message Id: 2237102

Just wanted to jump in and say "if this is something that will stick out from time to time", I would suggest you put your tegu in the bath and try to up the humidity % in the enclosure, I would be afraid of this "drying out and sticking" causing other problems?

09/16/11  09:52am

Canadiangirl
View Profile

Message To: Nile/water monitors   In reference to Message Id: 2237118

Glad it went back in for you! A prolapse is one of the more common health issues that seems to arise above others in tegus but serious complications can happen and once your tegu has had a prolapse then they are said to be more likely to get it again. As stated, up your humidity, bath, and offer fresh water daily. IF this happens again, keep the prolaspe moist, remove substrate from enclosure or remove tegu from enclosure to keep it clean. Some say a sugar bath works to encourge a prolaspe back in. Hopefully your tegu never has to experience a prolapse again!

09/16/11  01:27pm

Buda87
View Profile

Message To: Canadiangirl   In reference to Message Id: 2237141

i think prolapse happens in tegus that are feeding mainly on a meat/rodent diet as they need to push harder to poo hence the anus inverting.
try feeding more fruit and veg. if it refuses to eat it alone then mix in with a bit of minced turkey or mix with a little bit of raw egg.

03/18/12  11:30pm

Back to Tegus Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area