Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Tegus Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Tegus Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

The gu roo   The gu roo   DaremoAlpha   The gu roo   The gu roo   DaremoAlpha   The gu roo   The gu roo   The gu roo   Keirax   Keirax   DaremoAlpha   Keirax   DaremoAlpha   Gkoiner1997  

Member  Message

The gu roo
View Profile

High contrast Red male for sale! $190

Hey,

I purchased this red about 3 weeks ago not knowing i wasn’t going to receive a hatchling (stupid ya, ya) He is a "High contrast red" male from Bobby Hill, owner of varnyards. Bobby said he probed him and thinks hes a male, but as always you can’t be 100% sure of their sex till they age a bit more. his body is currently 14 inches long with about a 16 inch tail, a few feet total.

He is a good tegu but i can’t say hes 100% tame. He doesn’t like to be picked up, thus the reason i have been cage feeding him, i make sure he doesn’t ingest any substrate though by chopping ALL his food up into little bite size pieces and i always watch him eat. He is NOT cage aggressive, as i said ive only had him 2 weeks and haven’t spent much time with him because i was planning on selling him and getting a hatchling. You can pet him just fine if you don’t move in a threatening manner, I haven’t worked with him much is the thing, i am sure he will calm down nicely if you just spend time with him.

Anyways he eats like a champ and is real fun to watch.

I want to get a baby B&W from Bobby which are $150, his reds (including this one) he sells for $250. SO I am asking for $190 shipped for my red. Shipping this red will cost at least $40 so hopefully i will be able to get a black and white without spending any more money.

Thanks

Please email

I can’t attached my pics for some reason, this website is screwed up. so just contact me for pics.

06/25/10  09:39pm

The gu roo
View Profile

Message To: The gu roo   In reference to Message Id: 2158522

Don’t email me, just message me.

06/25/10  09:57pm

DaremoAlpha
View Profile

Message To: The gu roo   In reference to Message Id: 2158527

So your giving up a red just because it is not a hatchling???
What happens if the hatchling blk/wht you want turns out to be a cage aggressive monster? You going to flip it too?

Please understand my frustration with this because I just finished staring at a local classified ads with no less than 6 tegu’s for sale for various reasons and only 1 I would say is legit.

06/25/10  10:10pm

The gu roo
View Profile

Message To: DaremoAlpha   In reference to Message Id: 2158528

Uhh, no i don’t understand your frustration. I thought he was a baby when i bought him, he wasn’t so i am selling him.

Understand?

06/26/10  08:41am

The gu roo
View Profile

Message To: The gu roo   In reference to Message Id: 2158567

U have too much time on your hands btw. No offense.

Like for instance, I wouldn’t try and come off all wise when you clearly didn’t even think about it.

No offense or anything

06/26/10  08:44am

DaremoAlpha
View Profile

Message To: The gu roo   In reference to Message Id: 2158568

I work 10-15 hours a day 6 days a week hahaha time is not what I have an abundance of.
As for not thinking about it .. lets see what you posted in a nut shell...

Oh I never got what I wanted ( even though I should have confirmed everything before it was shipped to me ) and now I am going to dump it and try again ( maybe I will do the same thing if it is not the exact shades I like )

Not to mention you now state you are dropping down to a more common Black and White which has me wondering why did you order a red at all if you really want a B/W?

And to be perfectly clear here to anybody reading this...

I am not trying to attack " the gu roo " but more the circumstances involved which in my eyes appear to be lack or research in the transaction first hand and in confirmation steps afterwards.

Have you contacted Varnyard and stated that this animal is not the one you thought you were getting?
Maybe you could work it out that way.

Like I said I see way to many of these great animals in the classifieds for all the wrong reasons so upon first reading of your post what would you think of it?

No offence meant and certainly none taken, so I am going to go back to being " all wise" with all my spare time and start pulling out feed stock for my 6 tegu’s.

Have a great day..........

06/26/10  08:16pm

The gu roo
View Profile

Message To: DaremoAlpha   In reference to Message Id: 2158749

Look, I made a mistake thinking i was receiving a hatchling. We all make mistakes, And thats that.
You don’t have any idea what really went on between me and the vendor, so maybe you shouldn’t comment on it? I thought i did confirm i was receiving a hatching, but like I said I made a mistake. "dump it and try again" Please spare me this, you say you mean no offense but both your posts have a negative tone. Try and understand where I am coming from... I received the wrong tegu(my fault or not, it doesn’t matter) and you are telling me i am selling it for the wrong reasons? Trust me I am selling it for the right reasons, for myself and for the well being of the tegu.

Whats wrong about this situation is I got the wrong tegu, again ill admit it was my fault. And thinking about it i have to apologize for my own negative remarks towards you. But, I am selling him for the right reasons.

"Not to mention you now state you are dropping down to a more common Black and White which has me wondering why did you order a red at all if you really want a B/W? "

You have no idea why i want a black and white, And i don’t have to tell you either. This statement totally wasn’t necessary.

I said I didn’t understand where you were coming from, but maybe now i do... You see me selling my tegu because i made a mistake and you don’t like that, ya its a shitty situation but the tegu still needs to be sold. Its better for me to sell my tegu and its better for him, and thats why i posted my "add". He needs to be sold, its best for the both of us.

Again, i need to apologize to you, but also i want to to know why i am selling my tegu.

And yes, i contacted varnyards, they dont want him, since in the end it was my mistake.

Sorry and thanks for the advice.

06/26/10  10:49pm

The gu roo
View Profile

Message To: The gu roo   In reference to Message Id: 2158783

Anyways, what do you suggest I do, since you obviously don’t like the fact i am selling him.

06/26/10  10:51pm

The gu roo
View Profile

Message To: The gu roo   In reference to Message Id: 2158784

And forget what i said earlier about you sounding negative, You weren’t negative i just got the wrong idea. I have had some time to think about and I totally understand where you are coming from. I made a mistake and you don’t like that i did so you see me as selling it for the wrong reasons. But Still I think the right thing to do is sell him. God i feel like an idiot.

06/26/10  11:00pm

Keirax
View Profile

Message To: The gu roo   In reference to Message Id: 2158786

hello Gu roo. That sounds like a beautiful lil tegu, the reason he might not like to be picked up is because most if not ALL tegus are in fact afraid of heights. They are strictly ground lizards and get uneven if up to high. Also never ever grab them by their tails they are a type of whip tail lizard (like fence lizards) and will pop their tails off if they feel threatened. I had a tegu i got when she was already a few years old at first she was great to have around a little food crazy but fun, until she woke up all the way turns out i bought her when she was in a state of hibernation so she was calmer than she really was. one day i went to open the cage and she flew out and almost took my only hand off O,o i tired working with her but she never was "hand tame" to start with. I had to give her to a good friend of mine that could handle her every day and not worry about losing the only 5 fingers they got left lol. So i understand why you would want a hatchling. I think there was just a misunderstanding amongst you and the other poster (sorry forgot the name). Its best to get tegus and most lizards as hatchlings for bonding reasons, just like why you might want to get a puppy instead of a full grown dog. Dont get me wrong you can still bond with say a 2 year old but it takes time and even then they might not get tamed. With hatchlings they tend to bond faster because they have had less experience with humans weather good or bad. So i dont think Gu roo is trying to be mean in any way its just he wants an hatchling and was misinformed about what he payed for and its completely understandable why he would want to try and get his money back by selling the lizard and in doing so get a B/W tegu hatchling like he wanted.

06/26/10  11:44pm

Keirax
View Profile

Message To: Keirax   In reference to Message Id: 2158790

everyone makes mistakes, I also understand where Alpha is coming from i just think he/she came off a little harsh. There are alot of animals in general that are in adds for dumb reasons, but you have to take into consideration at least he is trying to find this lizard a new home instead of letting him go outside or giving him away to some random person on the street. I love my animals and would not get rid of them unless i had to for example my tegu i had. I tired to hand tame her every day for 4 hours or more for a year and she never got any better. I lost my arm to cancer in 06 and handling this tegu made me nervous. Multiple times she almost bit me and tegus death roll like gators. I’m not trying to take sides i understand both of you about what you stated and just think there was a misunderstanding and misplaced frustration on Alphas part. I wish you the best in finding the red tegu a home, If i was not in the middle of moving and dealing with my Savannah monitor that has cancer i would but him from you :(

06/27/10  12:00am

DaremoAlpha
View Profile

Message To: Keirax   In reference to Message Id: 2158792

Like I said before I see so many people dumping them up here it sickens me.
I actually bought a BW from a store because he was "untouchable" and I did not want to see it go to somebody that is not prepared to handle it. Since that time I have worked with it a lot and been able to take it to public demonstrations with the reptile society I belong to.

Yes I know I come off harsh but hard to convey thoughts with just the written word.

You asked once what i thought you should do , well since I do not know your situation for space and what-not ... I will not say just keep it and get your other one later ( I have 6 tegu’s who live in 2 bedrooms )

I will say this.... you have done some research on them so please make sure you only offer it to somebody else who shows some knowledge too or you could be the next one responding to a thread like this one hehehe

If and when you try to get your next one make sure you keep all email conversations about your order as a form of proof and confirmation. Use lots of detail and get Varnyard to send pictures of the animal with any identifying marks. This will help a bit for sure.

Tegu deathrolls are great fun to keep contained, I had my big one do it to me while I was dong a presentation and got raked really good across the arms... which was good in my eyes as it showed people that these are by no means a beginner pet.

Good luck finding it a good new home, I know of 6 up here in adds right now and another guy looking to get rid of 4 of his.. so sorry my frustration with people up here bled through

06/27/10  12:28am

Keirax
View Profile

Message To: DaremoAlpha   In reference to Message Id: 2158801

I really understand your frustration in this matter i feel the same way about many animals. It sickens me that people buy these animals just because "they are cool" and then end up forgetting about them or the animals get sick do to neglect. I save a 5 year old Savannah monitor from a pet store 2 years ago, they said his owners never had a light on him his whole life and they didnt think he was going to make it threw the night. I talked them into selling him to me for $20, i took him home and put him in a very hot cage and feed him, that night he ate 8 mice. I kept watching him and soaking him in vitamin c water and he got better. He is only 2and a half feet long the neglect for the past owners made him a pigmy. because of this he has many health issues and i have to watch his weight a little closer than i would to a full sized Savvy. The poor guy also has a type of cancer hes had since be for i received. When people get animals and do not do the research needed for that animal they put them in terrible danger so i understand why you got upset completely. I think its great that you educate people on the tegus and yes in a way that tegu death rolling was a good way to show they r not just for fun. I hope your ok though lol. I would have loved to keep my tegu but like i said i have one arm and could not give her the care she needed so i did find her a great home. Anyways got to go give my savvy a bath night everyone

06/27/10  12:42am

DaremoAlpha
View Profile

Message To: Keirax   In reference to Message Id: 2158807

I wear my scars proudly hehehe although ordering a steak in a restaurant only a few hours later almost ended me up with only getting a plastic knife LOL
The waitress had though I may have been suicidal from all the slash wounds, which I had to explain off and sure enough the girl came to the show the next day to see the animals.

Congrats on a good rehab of the Sav, there are no where near enough good stories like this for people to read about.

06/27/10  11:06am

Gkoiner1997
View Profile

Message To: The gu roo   In reference to Message Id: 2158527

I’m interested in tegu if u still have

10/21/12  01:00pm

Back to Tegus Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area