Tadpoles Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Tadpoles Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Akd1217   Akd1217   Breezy420   Saphira101   Rachael5517  

Member  Message

Akd1217
View Profile

More Tadpole Questions...

Okay, so I had wonderful responses last time I posted my questions, so here goes more of them. Forgive me if they are repeat questions I asked on my other post, but since it was older, I didn’t think the veterans would be going back to see my new questions. lol To update, we now have one of 5 tads turn into a froglet. I have heard to let them go as soon as they lose their tail, to allow the a better chance of learning to hunt for their survival, but this guy is so stinking tiny (like can sit on a dime tiny) that I feel like he would be swallowed by the first thing that sees him. Maybe this is the food chain, but I don’t wanna raise these guys to let them free and be eaten..lol So my first question is, is it crazy of me to think I can keep 5 bull frogs once they are grown? lol Also, I wondered what I should feed our new froglet. As I said he is sooo tiny. Will he still eat the frog and tadpole bites or should we be finding somewhere to buy insects, and which kind? My final question ( for now) is may I hold the froglet or would that be bad still for him? I have heard frogs carry salmonella, is this true? My son is soo wanting to hold the new froglet, but I don’t know at what point we can do that. Thanks so much!

05/11/12  04:47pm

Akd1217
View Profile

Message To: Akd1217   In reference to Message Id: 2266076

I have tried the tadpole and frog bites...algae wafers..and freeze dried crickets..but they won’t eat ne thing as far as I can tell..idk what to do! Do they need to be heated by a lamp?

05/13/12  03:48pm

Breezy420
View Profile

I have never actually kept any (but I will have to this time due to the fact that a few of my tads got a foot bit off by my sunfish). However, good old fashioned research has done me wonders when it came to all of my pets :)

05/15/12  02:45pm

Saphira101
View Profile

Message To: Akd1217   In reference to Message Id: 2266276

They don’t need a lamp, I have had hundreds of tads hatch successfully without one. You can try a high-quality goldfish food (crush up the flakes into tiny pieces) and see if that works.

Good luck!

Saphira

05/07/13  01:03am

Rachael5517
View Profile

You may keep them as long as you take good care of them. I don’t think you should let them go after they grow up though because they may have trouble hunting. You may want to wait a bit longer for the holding just because they are very delicate and can easily be crushed. True frogs can carry salmonella but you are fine if you wash your hands right after and do not stick them in your mouth before you wash your hands. You should feed them crickets. Most pet stores have small crickets for frogglets just call and ask first. After a while you might think to start breeding crickets because it can get very annoying to have to go to the pet sore ever week or two to buy crickets. Im sure you can find a video on youtube r something for that.

05/30/13  10:31am

Back to Tadpoles Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area