Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Tadpoles Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Tadpoles Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Akd1217   Breezy420   Akd1217   Breezy420   Akd1217   Breezy420   Breezy420   Lovefrogs   Lovefrogs   Lovefrogs  

Member  Message

Akd1217
View Profile

Lots of Tadpole Questions

Hi there. My name is Ashley. My son and I were recently given 6 tadpoles. 5 are bullfrog, and the last one is something i dont know. Lots smaller and a darker color than the bullfrog ones. I have a lot of questions, as I am a newbie at this, and was excited to find this board. First, the smaller tadpole has an air bubble in his belly, and is floating upside down much like explained in other posts. I wondered if there is anything I can do for him. I also wondered about the tank and water changes. I hear water changes can be fatal to tadpoles, and I have been told not to do complete water changes, but if I dont, the poop sits at the bottom of tank, and these guys seem to poop a lot. Lol. Is a filter recommended or not? I wanted to get some gravel and live plants for them, but the thought of trying to clean the tank with those things present deterred me from doing so. We have them in a 10 gallon tank, and our largest pole just sprouted back legs. How long before his lungs form and he needs to climb out of the water? What shall I use to allow him to do that and allow the other tads to have the space to swim. Thank you in advance for any advice given.

04/28/12  11:11am

Breezy420
View Profile

Message To: Akd1217   In reference to Message Id: 2264590

Hello, I live and work at a bait shop in minnesota and we come accross tadpoles in our bait supply and I have a habit of saving them and letting them go when they are frogs. :)

A ten gallon tank is plenty of space for the tads. A filter and an air rock would work well to keep the water clean and oxygen in the water. If you don’t want to get an air rock small aquatic plants provide oxygen as well and the tads will eat the algae that grows on the plant.

There isn’t n e thing you can do for the floating tadpole except to hope he passes it through his intestinal tract.

After you have the filter all set up you should still do half tank water changes weekly. The water needs to be purified water or well water. City water has too many chemicals in it and will kill the tadpoles.

If you get gravel make sure that it is large enough so the tadpoles do not accidentally swallow them. Tadpoles like to have places to hide so putting an aquarium castle or something to that extent would work great.

When the tadpoles start to sprout their front legs is when you will want to lower the water level a bit and either build a rock pile that the tads can use to get out of the water with when they are ready. One of my tads has all four legs but still doesn’t use his lungs but he sits atop the rock pile. Adding some sticks or branches would be good as well, it’s a good way for them to stretch their new legs.When you lower the water make sure that the filter can still filter the water for the other tads.

umm...idk if you have any other questions lemme kno lol

04/28/12  01:47pm

Akd1217
View Profile

Message To: Breezy420   In reference to Message Id: 2264600

Thank you for the advice. I think I may go buy a filter for their tank, but if tank changes are still necessary I may just keep those up more regularly instead. Just over the weekend I bought a couple little hideaways for the tads. I hadn’t thought about the size of the gravel thouh. Tell me, do aquatic plants need gravel or something similar to grow in? How would I clean the bottom of their poop filled tank once plants were growing? LOL silly qestion maybe, but it is the dilemma I now have...whether I should do complete tank changes and take the possibiliy of fhem not surviving it or do half tank change and leave the poop at the bottom. :)

04/29/12  10:05am

Breezy420
View Profile

Message To: Akd1217   In reference to Message Id: 2264688

Yea, getting medium sized gravel will work good for both the tads and the plants. As long as the plants have something keeping their roots on the bottom of the tank. when you clean the tank it won’t hurt the plants to be in a cup of water until you are finished.

When you do the half tank changes when you have the filter, as soon as you start putting new water in poop from the bottom of the tank will start floating around. I would suggest a 10-30 gallon whisper filter with large cartridges for your tank. It is the same I have however in my 10 gallon I have about 35 tads, 4 stickle backs, 2 mud minnows, 3 five inch rainbow chubs, and a sunny named Nemo/Jaws/Sunni. Even with all these creatures in the one environment my water stays clear with thhat filter. Anyway, so the poop flys around and you can let the filter do the brunt of the work. I would suggest full tank cleanings once every 3 weeks. (Putting the tads and some of their tank water into a clean bucket as to be able to take all the water out of the tank)

When you make the changes in the tank do it slowly...i.e. don’t put the new gravel in the day you do a tank-water change and such. Feel free to add as many aquatic plants as you like..the tadpoles will love to hide in the foliage and aquatic plants are very affordable from any pet store.

04/29/12  09:03pm

Akd1217
View Profile

Message To: Breezy420   In reference to Message Id: 2264781

Thank you for all of the good advice. The tads are thriving and growing well. The small tad has, I believe absorbed the air bubble, and seems to be doing fine. We now have one froglet, and it is exciting. I now have a couple questions about the tadpole growth and such as opposed to their tank. I have heard to let the frogs free almost as soon as their tail is done absorbing, to allow them a better chance of surviving. I thought about keeping all thr froglets, as we will have 6 total. I wondered if this would be too much to handle? lol They are small and cute right now...but I don’t really know how big they get. I have heard bull frogs tend to be loners, so woukd it even make sense to try and keep 5 bull frogs in one tank, even if we evntually got something larger to house them in? I also wondered about when to start feeding them something other than their tadpole and frog bites we have been feeding them from the pet store, and what exactly is best to feed them at that point? Also, one rather large tad with hind legs is missing one of them this morning. Is that normal, and what can I do for him? Thanks again for answering my questions, you have been a great deal of support through my confusion. lol

05/10/12  10:28am

Breezy420
View Profile

Message To: Akd1217   In reference to Message Id: 2265902

Sorry it took so long for me to get to this one, a lot of work needs to be done during the fishing off-season (and it just ended to days ago lol). Hmm..with the big tad did one of the legs not grow or when they were beginning to he/she lost the foot?

When the froglets tail is fully absorbed and their mouth is fully formed you can start feeding them small crickets and flies. (alive and moving and make sure you have a top to your holding area at this point). I personally have a totally seperate area where my froglets (with tails) go when they sprout their front legs.

The bull frogs may fight a little bit when they are all frogs but as long as they are all always full fed that will be kept at a minimum. Bull frogs can actually grow to be quite large (Hand size) when they are a year or two old. However, they will need to be moved to a larger enclosure when they start to outgrow ur current one. U will kno you need to change it when that cant make at least two good sized hops to get from one side of the cage to the other.

05/15/12  03:01pm

Breezy420
View Profile

Message To: Akd1217   In reference to Message Id: 2265902

Hmm..I did some new research and it seems 5 small bull frogs will need at least a 55gallon half water/ half land tank. In one year each frog will need 50gallons to itself. (you will have 5 frogs the size of baseballs). These frogs jump high and far and are every active as youngins. (this is why they need the space)

05/15/12  04:07pm

Lovefrogs
View Profile

Message To: Breezy420   In reference to Message Id: 2266507

Hi need help my bullfrog tadpoles are getting skinny don’t know why I had them for while and they haven’t turn into bull frogs why? I know it takes lone time for them to grow but my other ones turn? What can I give them to help gain weight? I have well water is that ok? They do have plants and grave and a filter. I feed them frozen seaweed they love it. But they still very skinny why?

01/10/17  06:44pm

Lovefrogs
View Profile

Hi need help my bullfrog tadpoles are getting skinny don’t know why I had them for while and they haven’t turn into bull frogs why? I know it takes lone time for them to grow but my other ones turn? What can I give them to help gain weight? I have well water is that ok? They do have plants and grave and a filter. I feed them frozen seaweed they love it. But they still very skinny why?

01/10/17  06:45pm

Lovefrogs
View Profile

01/11/17  05:12am

Back to Tadpoles Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area