Tadpoles Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Tadpoles Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Kumazemi   Reptile Chick   Kumazemi   Breezy420   Tshoelace  

Member  Message

Kumazemi
View Profile

Bullfrog tadpole with hole (wound?) in head

I recently caught 2 bullfrog tadpoles from a nearby river. One of these tadpoles has a half inch hole in the left side of his head. You can see his red gills through it. It definitely doesn’t look natural or normal. Is this a deformity or a wound of some sort? I’m wondering if anyone else out there has encountered something like this and if the hole will "heal" as he develops and changes. He seems very active (not sickly) in my 5 gallon aquarium.

Thanks in advance!

09/09/11  05:52pm

Reptile Chick
View Profile

Message To: Kumazemi   In reference to Message Id: 2236242

If he doesn’t heal,it’s natural,talk to a Vet for further info. BTW I should’ve looked at this post is it’s giving me the HeebeeJeebeez

09/12/11  10:15am

Kumazemi
View Profile

Message To: Reptile Chick   In reference to Message Id: 2236666

The wound continued to grow and his companion developed into a froglet basically within the last week, so we released him into a nearby pond. I think he’ll fare better out there than kept in the tank with his aggressive frog tank mate.

One weird thing about the frog though, his right eye is underdeveloped. It’s smaller and has a tiny pupil. Not sure what to make of that. He seems healthy though. He has an area to sit on out of the water and we’ve been feeding him crickets.

09/18/11  03:56pm

Breezy420
View Profile

Message To: Kumazemi   In reference to Message Id: 2237394

Breezy from Steve’s Lucky Bait in Baudette, Minnesota If the surrounding area of the river where you caught the tadpoles is highly populated or even if its more populated up river the defects on both the frog and the tadpole could definitely be from birth defects caused by chemical drainage into the water system. You may have also found two Tadpoles with normal birth defects, if they eat and act healthy chances are they are healthy :)

03/28/12  02:43pm

Tshoelace
View Profile

Message To: Kumazemi   In reference to Message Id: 2236242

I have a couple of small, black plastic ponds in my back yard. I have seen tadpoles come and disappear.

Today I saw a huge (it’s body is 4 inches long) ’water scorpion’, looks like a walking stick insect but lives underwater, in my larger pond. It was swimming like a squid near the surface of the water. I had to check just what in the world it was. The presence of this insect explains why I have had several of my ’feeder goldfish’ die horribly.

It has a beak that it uses to inject venom into it’s prey to sedate then eat it. It eats tadpoles, small fish and mosquito larvae and other water living insects. A water scorpion may be responsible for the hole in the tadpole’s head, if it may have been able to get away in time.

All my remaining goldfish are now back in my inside aquariums.

Now, I have a question? How do I get rid of this thing? I have another small pond full of tadpoles and I would like to see them turn into frogs.

07/20/14  04:43pm

Back to Tadpoles Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area