Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Tadpoles Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Tadpoles Forum

Americanchld   SlightlyInsane   Damonx   Americanchld   Poliwag   Americanchld   Kyoss   Peteythepacman   Americanchld  
 Member  Message

Americanchld
View Profile

PetSmart Tadpoles

Hey guy,
I am usually on the leopard gecko forum but yesterday and the day before, I went to petsmart and found tadpoles. They sell them with their feeder fish. So I picked one up and the day I brought him home he was ready to come of of the water, so if not for me he would have died. I bought him a rubbermaid container to house him in and had enough room that I wanted to get a second one. So back to petsmart I go, and found another guy/girl. I think it may be a girl because as a tadpole it is already bigger than my little toadlet. Any just thought I’d share this with you. Here is the newest girl the tadpole, which will be a toadlet pretty soon.

This is her setup

And here is Clyde the Toadlet

Let me know what you guys think. If you want to see Clyde he is on youtube, I’ll post here ! I think they might either be American, Californian or Western Toads, but I think they might be too young to ID. I would really appriciate your thoughts. Thanks ~Evelyn

05/21/10  01:03pm

SlightlyInsane
View Profile

Message To: Americanchld   In reference to Message Id: 2149371

PetSmart Tadpoles

I think they are neat! :) Im glad you saved the little guy

05/21/10  06:34pm

Damonx
View Profile

Message To: Americanchld   In reference to Message Id: 2149371

PetSmart Tadpoles

very cute :D
thats why i hate corporate petstores :[
every time i go there they have unhealthy enviorments for all their animals.

05/24/10  03:52pm

Americanchld
View Profile

Message To: Damonx   In reference to Message Id: 2150283

PetSmart Tadpoles

So found out they’re not toads at all, but frogs.

06/08/10  06:45pm

Poliwag
View Profile

Message To: Americanchld   In reference to Message Id: 2154335

PetSmart Tadpoles

Post pictures of your frogs!

06/09/10  07:16pm

Americanchld
View Profile

Message To: Poliwag   In reference to Message Id: 2154572

PetSmart Tadpoles

they all look like the guy in my previous post right now. When they start to change I’ll definantly take some pics.

06/14/10  11:54pm

Kyoss
View Profile

Message To: Americanchld   In reference to Message Id: 2155850

PetSmart Tadpoles

Got to love saving things! and raising tadpoles.. It’s such a neat experience seeing tadpoles go from eggs to full grown frogs/toads.. or anything to do with tadpoles.

Best of luck to you bud, Would like to see some pictures for sure.
See ya, Cody.

06/18/10  02:59am

Peteythepacman
View Profile

Message To: Kyoss   In reference to Message Id: 2156633

PetSmart Tadpoles

do not feed your little friend until his/her tail is completely absorbed because during that time they get all the needed nutrients from their tale. When he/she is done absorbing it move is to a 10 gall with a divider, have water about an 1 or 2 of water with gravel on the bottom, and on the other side use moistened cocoa fiber and put small hide. for feeding i would suggest feeding 3-5 crickets every day or two, they should be small crickets, the size above pinhead, and if it gets to the size of a silver dollar feed it medium crickets-- good luck with your new bud!!

06/22/10  10:27pm

Americanchld
View Profile

Message To: Peteythepacman   In reference to Message Id: 2157739

PetSmart Tadpoles

Thanks. They have all aborbed their tails now. I have 3, one of them died. He had gotten out, I found him hopping around my room, and ever since then he was dehydrated. As I was giving him a melafix treatment he died. The 3 others are hopping around their enclosure just fine. I have been putting crixs in and watching them eat them. They have been eating 2-3crix each. They even stock the crix!
They are on moist coconut fiber with a water dish, hide and plants. Thanks again. Oh I have taken care of frogs before. I own a white’s tree frog. I also used to have 4 american tree frogs, which are very similar to these pacific tree frogs. Just wanted to let you know. But I have never owned tadpoles, so I learned something. Thanks again.

06/23/10  11:13am

Back to Tadpoles Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area