Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Tadpoles Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Tadpoles Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Dxkiraxn   CandiGurl   Dublinamphibian   TammyJean   Breezy420   Kikizilla101   Kikizilla101   Tadpoles38   MrFroggieG  

Member  Message

Dxkiraxn
View Profile

Tadpole floating upside down, unusual behavior!

My friend bought this tadpole at a petstore, he was a mistake and came in with a bunch of feeder fish. He was $0.27 and if we didn’t buy him, he would have probably been sold as food. So, I took him home to my freshwater tank (my friend had brackish so i took him). He was doing fine for a few weeks and then today, he’s floating upside down in the tank! None of my fish pick on him at all, they bairly know he’s there and i do weekly water changes and everyone else is healthy. I’m not sure what happened to him, I feed flakes and sinking shrimp pellets, which is what some have suggested. I took him out and dropped him in a shallow bowl, made some areas for him to climb up on if he needs air but he’s only got his back legs. He was growing, his face seems more frog-like and defined but no front legs. I’m not sure what to do and I’ve grown attached. He’s not dead, he moves a little bit but usually he’s at the bottom of the tank and will move around.

02/22/10  08:44pm

CandiGurl
View Profile

Message To: Dxkiraxn   In reference to Message Id: 2126085

-Green tree frog tadpoles, Texas- last year ,while raising a few tadpoles i rescued from my dogs’ drinking bowl, i experianced the same problem as you.. about 3 tadpoles started to swim around upside down in the fishbowl after developing their hindlegs. afraid they would drown i moved them to a Kritter Keeper with water 2 inches high, a twig or two in the water and a large rock in the center of the tank. using their hindlegs to push against the bottom of the tank the tadpoles managed to surface occasionally to breathe and occasionally leaned against the rock for support. five days later all three successfully sprouted forelimbs, and after a couple hours managed to pull themselves onto the rock. Anywho..

I was able to successfully raise them with no further problems. I still dont know why this swimming disability only occurred with three out of the fifty seven green treefrog tadpoles i raised. perhaps one side of their body grew faster than the other, causing an imbalance? Maybe its gas buildup, like what happens to certain goldfish..?Im sure sombody has a reasonable explanation..Good luck with your little froglet, and keep us posted on his/her progress :)

03/01/10  07:46am

Dublinamphibian
View Profile

Message To: CandiGurl   In reference to Message Id: 2128310

Mine did this too! This is natural, i dont no why though. Of 37 tads 34 survived. a lot more then the dead number that did this so its ok.

06/08/10  05:54pm

TammyJean
View Profile

Message To: Dublinamphibian   In reference to Message Id: 2154317

Ha this is soo funny, i guess it is just odd behavior! of the tree frog tadpoles, so cute though. BUT my concern is when do I know its time to let them out of the tank?? When can I turn them loose?

06/30/11  02:19pm

Breezy420
View Profile

Message To: TammyJean   In reference to Message Id: 2227176

Breezy From Steve’s Lucky Bait in Baudette, Minnesota You need to release your now adult frogs right away when they lose their tails for them to have the best chance of survival. Make sure you check with your local DNR records and make sure you are not releasing an invasive species back into it’s unnatural environment. The fines get pretty hefty if you are caught releasing frogs that are not naturally found in your region. :)

03/27/12  06:15pm

Kikizilla101
View Profile

As soon as they loose their tails you can let them loose!

06/22/14  01:43am

Kikizilla101
View Profile

As soon as they loose their tails you can let them loose!

06/22/14  01:43am

Tadpoles38
View Profile

Prolly playing dead... my tree frog larvae (tadpoles) are also doing it...

12/23/15  01:03pm

MrFroggieG
View Profile

Tadpole swim on side HELP please I am scared for him

My tadpole swims on his side and upsidown and he floats on his side is this normal I just moved him outside he seems better but still on his side

08/27/16  08:05am

Back to Tadpoles Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area