Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Tadpoles Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Tadpoles Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

TutThePlatedLizard   Clawedfrogsrule   Gretchenellie   Anilver   Leosmom   Gretchenellie   KarlasTreefrogs   Luciousbarbie323  

Member  Message

TutThePlatedLizard
View Profile

Crooked tail?

One of my tads has a weird crook in its tail, any ideas as to what would cause it and if its bad? the one that has it still hasnt sprouted legs, while the other now has a full pair of back legs. i’ll try and get a pic tmw, its dark out right now.

08/03/08  03:31am

Clawedfrogsrule
View Profile

Message To: TutThePlatedLizard   In reference to Message Id: 1817819

Crooked tail?

My tadpole had a crook in her tail, she morphed normally and is a healthy frog now. I wouldn’t worry too much about it, and they all develop at different rates so that shouldn’t really be a problem either.

08/03/08  12:32pm

Gretchenellie
View Profile

Message To: Clawedfrogsrule   In reference to Message Id: 1818085

Crooked tail?

environmental factors play a big role in the development of tadpoles..

there could have been parasites in their water, maybe not enough water changes were done, not enough exposure to light, etc, etc.

some morph out just fine, and then others develop spinal deformities and die off rather quickly.

08/10/08  06:50pm

Anilver
View Profile

Message To: Gretchenellie   In reference to Message Id: 1826307

Crooked tail?

the tail is going to go away anyways.

08/10/08  06:54pm

Leosmom
View Profile

Message To: TutThePlatedLizard   In reference to Message Id: 1817819

Crooked tail?

I know this was from a couple months ago, but I had the same problem - my tadpole was pretty crooked. He did not grow out of it - he changed into a frog and he is deformed, with a crooked back and a leg that won’t bend. He does fine as long as I make sure to put a cricket right in front of him (he can’t jump without turning on his back). He is 4 months old now and is a little smaller than the others but seems healthy otherwise. So sometimes they grow out of it and sometimes they don’t - if they don’t they can still live but you have to help them out a little more. I still don’t know what caused it - the other 3 came from the same batch of tadpoles and were raised in the same tank and they are fine.

10/24/08  11:55am

Gretchenellie
View Profile

Message To: Leosmom   In reference to Message Id: 1886781

Crooked tail?

...................and that is why they lay so many eggs, survival of the fittest.

10/29/08  09:10pm

KarlasTreefrogs
View Profile

Message To: Leosmom   In reference to Message Id: 1886781

Crooked tail?

How did the tadpole end up? I see by the date that it has been years now... Did you have any more troubles with crooked tails? Is he still alive or did he die young? Did you ever hear of any reasons that this happened to him (that made sense)?

I have had one batch of tadpoles that had the same thing happen in 3 of the tadpoles. It wasn’t as severe as this guy’s deformity. And they got their front and back legs just like the rest of the 60 tadpoles. After their tails were gone they moved fine and appeared normal again. No lasting problems for the little guys. But in this last batch of tadpoles I have one little guy who is very twisted and he has a tough time swimming. It seems like frog scoliosis, doesn’t it? They hatch just fine and at first appear to be a normal tadpole, but as they grow they get more twisted and deformed... then when their legs come in and they lose the tail... hopefully they straighten out. But this little guy I have now has trouble near his low back... not his tail... and I’m very worried about him. He eats just fine and swims but he puts far more effort into his motions than the others do. But he still keeps up with the normal ones. I feel so sorry for him. I think I won’t be letting him run free like I let the rest. I just leave the screen off the top of the aquarium and they leave when they are ready (when their tail is almost gone)... This time I think I have to set up an aquarium and keep this guy (or gal.)

I was hoping your deformed guy got better or possibly at least he seems as happy as the normal ones?? I hope he didn’t die. Just in case my little frog doesn’t get better when he loses his tail, I ordered some Phoenix worms for him. (not sure what they are, but they came in extra small and small!) Hopefully they come before he gets ready to eat insects. Did you set up his aquarium/terrarium any different than you do for other normal frogs? I haven’t set up any place for any of my tree frogs yet... Usually I just let them leave when they are ready... so I don’t know what I should do different to help this little guy out. I want to make life easier for him, not harder. Any advice would be appreciated. Please let me know what happened to your crooked little one after he grew up. It’s so scary not to know what to expect.

Thanks,
Karla

08/02/11  01:33pm

Luciousbarbie323
View Profile

Message To: KarlasTreefrogs   In reference to Message Id: 2231436

Crooked tail?

well i dint know that much about tadpoles.but i only speak for experience.i purchased 4 tadpoles at a pet store.and after a week i noticed they had a crooked tail.as a i researched.it was brought to my attention that crooked tails in tadpoles is a sign of under feeding or lack of oxygen levels in the water or even possible contamination in the water.one thing to keep in mind that people who own tadpoles should know is that they are very sensitive to changes in there endowment

04/10/12  09:29am

Back to Tadpoles Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area