Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Tadpoles Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Tadpoles Forum

StarTart7   SugarMaple   Clawedfrogsrule   StarTart7   Reptilefreak23   StarTart7   Reptilefreak23   Cyndorama   Tadpole Raiser   Germankid  
 Member  Message

StarTart7
View Profile

They were supposed to be leopard frog tadpoles....

OK, so I have had leopard frogs in the past, and several months ago I decided to get some more. I ordered them online, and the company took about 6 months to ship them out, while not returning my emails and leaving me hanging. So they showed up, by surprise, today. I ordered 2, and I got 4, 2 of which already have all their legs and are losing their tails. To my surprise, they don’t look anything at all like the leopard frogs I had in the past (which I also raised from tadpoles.) These guys are only about an inch long! They don’t have "leopard" spots, and they have disc shaped toes. My leopard frogs didn’t climb the glass of their tank, but these guys sure do. I’m thinking they are some kind of tree frog???? I have never seen frogs sooooo tiny before. They are a green/brown color, and they have adorable little triangle shaped heads. Their skin is not bumpy or mottled, but smooth and has the sheen of a salamander. These are obviously not the same kind of frog I’ve had in the past, and now I am not sure how to take the best care of them. I already know that I am going to need a more securely fitting lid for my tank, but for now I have rigged it up so they can’t climb out. Sorry that I don’t have any pictures, but I was hoping my description would be enough to narrow it down at least. If anybody has any clues, please let me know. I don’t want these little guys to suffer because their tank is set up for leopard frogs and for all I know their needs are totally different.

Thanks!

06/06/08  12:34pm

SugarMaple
View Profile

Message To: StarTart7   In reference to Message Id: 1753440

Do they have stripes down their backs? They sound like they are possibly chorus frogs. I have a few in my tank that just lost their tails. I’ll post pictures later.

06/06/08  03:38pm

Clawedfrogsrule
View Profile

Message To: SugarMaple   In reference to Message Id: 1753588

They sound like some kind of tree frog, I don’t know what kind, you should try to find out where the place is you ordered from, and what frogs live in that area, maybe some wild frogs somehow managed to lay some eggs in the facility? Pretty far-fetched I guess, but those really don’t sound like a normal tadpole in the industry, definately not leopards.
For a setup I would stick with a paper towel substrate and a good sized, shallow water dish for them to soak in.
Also try the tree frog forum with pictures if you can, they can probably help a lot more.
good luck

06/06/08  07:34pm

StarTart7
View Profile

Message To: SugarMaple   In reference to Message Id: 1753588

They do not have stripes down their backs. Two of them have copletely lost their tails now, and of those two, one is a yellow/green color and the other is a green/brown color, and other than the coloration, they look pretty much the same. Without their tails they are probably only 1/2 inch long, and they seem to have dark stripes from their eyes to their nose. I have to be really careful when I open the tank to do some cleaning or add food, because they jump onto the glass and climb to the top in just a few seconds, and can even hang upside down from the lid for a few seconds before they fall back down. Thanks for all your help!

06/08/08  01:09pm

Reptilefreak23
View Profile

Message To: StarTart7   In reference to Message Id: 1755133

prob. green, barking or squirle tree frogs, can you post pics or give us really specific info?

thankyou

06/08/08  10:11pm

StarTart7
View Profile

Message To: Reptilefreak23   In reference to Message Id: 1755553

I am working on pics. I really appreciate all the help. The closest images I can find through Google are the squirrel tree frogs.

06/08/08  10:37pm

Reptilefreak23
View Profile

Message To: StarTart7   In reference to Message Id: 1755581

my best guess with your discription would actually be the squirrels.
good luck!

06/10/08  08:47pm

Cyndorama
View Profile

Message To: StarTart7   In reference to Message Id: 1753440

They were supposed to be leopard frog tadpoles

I found this forum while searching for information on the tadpoles I just received from an internet order- I am having the exact same issue, and I wonder if it is the same company! I ordered two leopard frog tadpoles and received two TINY tadpoles, about 1.5 or 2 cm long, one which has already developed front and back legs- and it also took over a month and several emails asking where they are to get them. They also did not send the food or plant I ordered. The business is Living Aquatic. I don’t think mine are Leopard frogs either, and I too am wondering what kind they are so that I can care for them properly. I will post a picture here. I will be complaining to Living Aquatic (again) and trying to get my money back. If anyone recognizes the photos, I’d love to know what they are (although I know it is difficult at the tadpole stage)... Best Wishes! ~cyndorama

07/06/08  10:48am

Tadpole Raiser
View Profile

Message To: Cyndorama   In reference to Message Id: 1784343

I got the same tads from the same company too!!! I really think their green tree frogs because thats the only type of tadpole they sell that will grow up to have disc shaped toes.

09/13/09  08:04pm

Germankid
View Profile

Message To: Tadpole Raiser   In reference to Message Id: 2071338

The people at frog freaks should know Link

11/21/09  08:19pm

Back to Tadpoles Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area