Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Tadpoles Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Tadpoles Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Frogboy1   Kyoss   Frogboy1   Kyoss   Emmyboo911   Frogboy1   Dsglisw   Tshoelace   Annabeth  

Member  Message

Frogboy1
View Profile

CARING FOR SPRING PEEPER TADPOLES HELP!!!!!!

what do spring peepers tadpoles and froglets eat? do they need a certian temperature? do they like a dirty bowl? HELPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP!!!!!

04/10/08  02:20pm

Kyoss
View Profile

Message To: Frogboy1   In reference to Message Id: 1697612

Spring Peeper Tadpoles:
-A 5 Gal or so Container. (Depends on how many you have)
-They will eat: Fish Food Flakes, Algae Disks, Or just thinks in the tank.
-The warmer it is the faster they will grow most of the time. I keep mine about 68-70 depending on surrounding temp
-Use Dechlorinated Water, I like to use Start-Right Frog Walmart. It’s About 3 dollars.
-I provide a UVB Light even though its not required
-I would put in some stones or thinks they can climb on after they morph to Froglets.
-Do daily Half Water Changes. This is like draining half out and refilling to keep the water nice looking and a better habitat for them to grow in.

Spring Peeper Froglets:
-I would use a 10 gal Aquarium with a secure Lid to prevent escape, Because they are Treefrogs so...
-I would provide them a small water bowl with Papertowl for the substrate. (Make sure you change the Papertowl damp and change it every other day.)
-You can provide a fake vine or a plant bought at the store. (DON’T USE WOOD AND PLANTS FROM OUTSIDE AS IT CAN CARRY PARASITES AND MITES)
-Mist the tank heavily but lightly a few times a day to keep the humidity up.
-You need to provide a UVB Light that will provide for natural day light, keep the humidity up and it will insure they don’t get bone disease.
-For food, I would provide wingless Fruitflys and after a week of them i would give them pinhead Crickets.

If you need anymore information or are confused somewhere, or just need advice... Send me a PM and ill be glad to help out.

-Cody

04/10/08  05:12pm

Frogboy1
View Profile

Message To: Kyoss   In reference to Message Id: 1697838

I mean they aren’t my pets but what do they eat in the wild

04/10/08  05:39pm

Kyoss
View Profile

Message To: Frogboy1   In reference to Message Id: 1697869

Anything like plants, Algae off of like plants, sticks, rocks, anything.. they just eat it.

04/10/08  07:48pm

Emmyboo911
View Profile

Message To: Kyoss   In reference to Message Id: 1698058

Boil some spinich and let cool. make sure it is nice and gooey like alge!

04/10/08  09:45pm

Frogboy1
View Profile

Message To: Emmyboo911   In reference to Message Id: 1698253

Thanx that was really helpful

04/11/08  07:40am

Dsglisw
View Profile

Can I put them in my yard? Would they be happier in or by the lake or I have a creek or woods? Thanks for your help. Debbie

05/25/09  11:47am

Tshoelace
View Profile

Message To: Dsglisw   In reference to Message Id: 2010787

Outside in the lake, creek, pond, there may be water scorpions. They are predator insects and there are 2 kinds, 1 is leaf shaped and the other is stick shaped.

I found a huge one, stick shaped and body 4 inches long, in my larger pond, about 125 gallons. I usually put my goldfish in the pond for the summer and back in the inside aquarium in the winter. This year I bought more feeder goldfish, to eat the mosquito larvae, and they seemed to be dieing horribly.

Water scorpions have a beak that they use to inject venom into their prey to sedate and then eat it. They eat tadpoles, small fish, mosquito larvae, and other water insects.

If I were you, I’d wait until the tadpoles were almost frogs before putting them out in the wild.

07/20/14  05:07pm

Annabeth
View Profile

I have 14 in a tank that can hold at least 15 gallons but I only have 2 gallons in it. I have been feeding them lettuce and I don’t have a heater for the tank. I’m using Saran Wrap as a lid right now. I’m not sure if I was right to do that. I am open to tips.

05/04/15  03:39pm

Back to Tadpoles Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area