Swifts Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Swifts Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Babygurl2511   Baja   Truthseeker   Lizard girl 4  

Member  Message

Babygurl2511
View Profile

My son needs help with this lizard

so I’ve done a little digging, and found out the basics of this lizard. also any info we could get would be greatly appreciated. how many lizards can i put in a 5 gallon tank, do i have to have the heat lamp, how often do i need to feed him, and what do i feed him.

thanks

01/07/12  03:29pm

Baja
View Profile

Message To: Babygurl2511   In reference to Message Id: 2250148

How much are you willing to spend on him? You cannot fit any in a 5 gallon because you need a 10 gallon (Preferably 20) for 1. The lighting alone costs about 40 to 50 bucks. The lighting I prefer is the fluorescent lighting because it’s the most natural for reptiles. Whatever you do get at least a 5.0 because under that does not give off any light. Although you can keep sticks from outside as long as you boil or bake them because of the dangers of parasites. Parasites may not be a factor in the wild but in captivity it’s like the plague because it spreads everywhere so fast. For substrates sand can be used as long as he’s fed in a different cage because of the chances of impaction. You can use organic potting soil or you can get a brand named Eco-earth from Petsmart or Petco. For the temperatures you usually want the basking spot to be around 90-95 degrees and the cool side to be in the 70’s or low eighty’s. Buy 2 thermometers from a pet shop to measure these temperatures. For the basking spot a 75 watt bulb would work well. You need 2 hides a warm hide to put on the warm side of the tank and a cold one. I bought the cold hide because I couldn’t find anything in my yard. For the warm hide I just used stones to make into a cave so it could be a basking spot and a hiding place for him. Since fence lizards aka blue belly lizards live in canyons it would be smart to put a lot of wood and rocks in there. If you need more info you can contact a member named ThesaurusRex that’s usually on the fence lizards forum. Hope this helped(:

01/08/12  09:12pm

Truthseeker
View Profile

Message To: Babygurl2511   In reference to Message Id: 2250148

Your lizard is called an Emerld Swift, and it is a male, denoted by the blue undercarriage (belly). I have two of these delightful creatures and they are easy to care for. Mine seem to thrive well with a basking lamp on at all times, but one side of the aquarium is filled with plant life and shady. The misconception with these lizards is that they are dessert dwelers, which is not the case. They come from Central America and are usually found in forest environments, so lose the sand and get a loose coconut fiber substrate that they can dig and burrow in. Alo make sure to keep the enclosure very humid, I mist mine daily and monitor the humidity to be between 50 and 60%. The heat seems best at around 80 to 90 degrees, as long as you have a shaded area for them to retreat to. They love small live crickets that have been fed and watered with nutrients so that the Swift will get what they beed. Mealworms and fruit flies work well too. Hopefully this helps, good luck.

01/31/12  05:07pm

Lizard girl 4
View Profile

Message To: Truthseeker   In reference to Message Id: 2253500

I think it’s a fence lizard, they have blue belly’s.

02/02/12  08:57am

Back to Swifts Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area