Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Swifts Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

AllegroRitmico   Baja   Baja   Truthseeker   Lizard girl 4   KitKat12   Baja  

Member  Message

AllegroRitmico
View Profile

New swift. Need advice, please!

Hello all,

I was out playing tennis the other day when I noticed a lizard crawl onto the practice wall where my ball was about to hit. Luckily, it missed and the reptile didn’t seem too traumatized. I walk up to observe it and, much to my surprise, he jumped right onto me -- wasn’t bashful at all. Ran around my shirt, behind my shoulders and everything. I get a hold of him, and decide to take him home with me. I’ve identified him as a male swift (I’ll attach a photo at the end of the post).

So, I’m completely new to this lizard-owning thing. I did some basic research and bought him a few things: a 5.5 gallon tank, some decomposed granite, Vita-Sand, a shade structure, water and food dish, crickets, UVB and basking lights, a thermometer... I went all-out ($170) for this little guy. In retrospect, I realize I probably should have bought a larger tank. He’s only about 10cm long, though, so for now perhaps it’s permissible.

I suppose what brings me here is that he appears to have an eating/drinking problem. He won’t touch the crickets or the ants that I caught him. Two days in and he hasn’t been wanting to familiarize himself with the water. I’m thinking he might still be traumatized from the environment transfer. I read somewhere in the forum that some swifts don’t like drinking from containers... I guess, on the whole, I’m not sure how to get him to eat or how much he should be fed. He’s been hiding inside the structure for most of his time, and I’m concerned.

Here are the pics:

10/15/11  12:04am

Baja
View Profile

Message To: AllegroRitmico   In reference to Message Id: 2240537

Go to the fence lizard forum because this forum is dead. Theres a guy named ThesaurusRex that can answer nearly any question about swifts which are fence lizards.

10/20/11  06:51pm

Baja
View Profile

Message To: Baja   In reference to Message Id: 2241310

The only problems with your tank is the size (What you mentioned above) and the substrate. Buy this substrate called eco earth it’s very helpful.

10/20/11  06:54pm

Truthseeker
View Profile

Message To: Baja   In reference to Message Id: 2241311

There are a few problems I see. YOu have your tank set up for dessert lizards and the Emerld Swift hails from Central America with lush forestry. You need to add some logs, green plants and highly humidify the enclosure. Also they need basking light at least 12 hours a day. I have 2 Swifts, and mate them as well, they enjoy burrowing in loose coconut fiber substrate, and often hiding at night. But during the day time they will bask on the logs, or branches for several hours. Small crickets, mealworms, and fruit flies are best means of nutrients, just make sure to feed your crickets properly as the Swifts will get there vitamens from the crickets. Contact me anytime if need any further help...good luck

01/31/12  04:59pm

Lizard girl 4
View Profile

Message To: Truthseeker   In reference to Message Id: 2253499

That’s a fence lizard I think.

02/02/12  08:59am

KitKat12
View Profile

Message To: Lizard girl 4   In reference to Message Id: 2253673

What light is on the side the heat lamp or UVB?

08/11/12  10:36pm

Baja
View Profile

Message To: KitKat12   In reference to Message Id: 2276521

I don’t know if she even had a uvb light. I think that was just the heat light.

08/15/12  05:37pm

Back to Swifts Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area