Swifts Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Swifts Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Kdeg   Jared T   Truthseeker  

Member  Message

Kdeg
View Profile

Mating???

Hello, i am a new owner of 2 Emerald Swifts and i have a few questions about mating habits? My male (i believe is male) does a head bob and shake towards my other swift who in returns wips him in the face with (her) tail?? They chase each other around and sometimes bite each other after. But yet they lay on top of each other??? IS this a breeding thing or are they weird? Thanks for your time....

oh also one of them really enjoys being up-side-down on the mesh cage for long periods of time...is this normal?? thanks again

06/09/10  01:41am

Jared T
View Profile

Message To: Kdeg   In reference to Message Id: 2154422

Mating???

Are you sure that you have a male and a female?

Head bobbing can be shown off as territorial rights, or even mating signals.

The tail whips, if are vicious means get away. lol

Hanging upside down on the screen lid isn’t something to be concerned about, my lizards used to do it all the time when they had access to the top.

06/11/10  09:37pm

Truthseeker
View Profile

Message To: Kdeg   In reference to Message Id: 2154422

Mating???

You still need answers on the Sceloporus Malachiticus (Emerld Swift)? The behavior you described is their mating ritual, and don’t be alarmed if the female (less vibrant in color and usually smaller) ends up with her tail bitten off, this is common and will grow back. Also their color changes depending on mating or not as well. I have found my female to get more vibrant and my male to become pale when they try to mate.

01/31/12  05:27pm

Back to Swifts Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area