Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Swifts Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Swifts Forum

Fraustie_88   Rae rae   Fraustie_88  
 Member  Message

Fraustie_88
View Profile

I just got an emerald swift

i rescued an emerald swift with no tail what r my best options on keeping him healthy and getting his tail back? right now i have a 55 gal tank sectioned in half with a 10 gal lid and a 2x4 as a make shift divider, with him on 1 side and some anoles and a gecko on the other side(i was afraid it might stress them but none seem 2 be bothered by the other). im using red bark as substrate and the both have water dishes, surface area,hiding spots and plenty to climb on, im also using a 100watt heat bulb and 50watt daylight uv. i have a fake plant for the anoles should i get the emerald a real one i heard they enjoy eating them?

01/03/09  12:34pm

Rae rae
View Profile

Message To: Fraustie_88   In reference to Message Id: 1925526

ok, warning on the emerald swift! i just happened across this post by the way, lol! i’ve never owned one but i cared for one for about a year when i worked at petsmart. the poor lizard did fine for about 10 or 11 months. he didn’t sell because they’re not lizards you play with but he did just fine in his little tank. all of a sudden he seemed as if he began to get knots on his sides. we took him to our vet. the vet did some research and told us that the emeralds need extremely HIGH humidity levels. even though we had him on the bed-a-beast substrate which holds a lot of moisture and misting him twice daily he still wasn’t getting enough moisture! so we put him in the back with special medicine from the vet and kept a close eye on his hygrometer. we did exactly what the vet said, however one day we found him dead! it was sad. it was like we tried so hard to fix him, and never even knew he was that sick. we just thought he was having a shedding problem! so anyways...just thought i’d let ya know about the humidity levels if ya didn’t know already. good luck!

01/08/09  01:39am

Fraustie_88
View Profile

Message To: Rae rae   In reference to Message Id: 1928376

thanks for the advice. i have now real 3 real plants in the the tank and i mist about 4 times a day. his tail has been growing back and he has been getting greener so i hope im doing it right. thanks

01/31/09  02:38pm

Back to Swifts Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area